Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Doesn't look like any US issued machete. could be a large butcher knife. Uncle Sam did have such as that, easily available to a GI. Maybe local, but doesn't look like any of the usual suspects.

·
Copper Bullet member
306 Posts
Looks like it could possibly be a commonwealth machete. The "blade" tip also reminds me of the shape of a Chinese sword.... or otherwise having Asian characteristics. I'm referring to a shape similar to that of the Japanese WWII pocket knife.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Found in a small cave that contained two skeletons and a blown-up 70mm battalion howitzer. Any ideas what this is? Looks like a US bayonet or machete???

Thanks, Eric
If I were to guess, a short sword carried by the Formosan regiments of the Japanese Army, do not know if they were on Peleliu or not but there are a number of photos, specifically of Formosan Paratroopers carrying these swords. Please do not ask what book, I know I still have it, but do not remember which one, when you have stored crates of books, becomes a problem

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I know that the 2nd Infantry Regiment of the 14th Division, assigned and annihilated on the island, was initially doing guard duty in Manchuria before being deployed to Palau. They stopped in Formosa on the way. If you can find a picture or positively ID this thing would be pretty cool!

Thanks guys for the input, Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I know that the 2nd Infantry Regiment of the 14th Division, assigned and annihilated on the island, was initially doing guard duty in Manchuria before being deployed to Palau. They stopped in Formosa on the way. If you can find a picture or positively ID this thing would be pretty cool!

Thanks guys for the input, Eric
From JCTLB reference to Chinese and your information that the 2nd Inf was from Manchukuo, you both may have come very close to identifying the blade. Japanese Manchukuo had many Manchurian units under the puppet goverment and very likely carried the Da Dao short sword, since Manchukuo lasted 13 years the intermixing of weaponry is highly likely and even some Manchurian soldiers may have been consolidated into the Japanese Inf.

Attached photo is of a Da Dao (from Bin Shih's excellent book on Chinese armaments) I have not found the Formosan reference book, but the blade portion is the same but the handle was like an ornate machete handle (no ring on end) will keep looking.

Very envious of your Travels

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.