Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this K98 a few weeks ago and have been trying to figure out what this code is on my barrel. I haven't removed the barrel from the stock yet, so I'm not sure if there is more to the code, but it appears to read "W361". There is another "W" just in front of the receiver in the first picture which I am also confused about.

This is my first Mauser, so I have a lot to learn.

And here's a shot of the top of the receiver in case this could help

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
It's a barrel maker code and will indicate year, factory and metal batch or "lot".
Some of the codes are known but the majority are not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In the early years, the barrel code lists the year, manufactor and steel lot. From looking at my pictures of '41 byf, I don't think they follow that. Maybe somebody else will know. If you take it apart, you might find the first part is 40 or 41 which would be the year and make sense for a 1941 rifle.

I did notice of my pictures almost all have a letter where your W is. So I think it is just one of the many markings from the contractors and subcontractors on the K98.

But the basic answer is that it is the code of the contractor/sub-contractor who made the barrel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hüttenwerk

K98k Steel Works (Hüttenwerk) Barrel Codes:

ar - Mauser Werke AG, Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde

avk - Ruhrstahl AG, Presswerke Brackwede, Brackwede bei Bielefeld

awz - Dietrich Sasse’s Söhne, Wien, Österreich

ayf - Erma, Erfurter Maschinenfabrik GmbH, Erfurt

Bö - Böhler Steel, Edelstahl GmbH, Kapfenberg, Lower Austria

bcd - Wilhelm Gustloff Werke, Weimar

bnz (shield) and 660 - Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr, Austria

bwo - Rheinmetall-Borsig AG, Werk Düsseldorf, (bwo) E/39, Sommerda, Thüringen (1939)

byf (shield) - Mauser Werke AG, Oberndorf

bys - Ruhrstahl AG, Gussstahlwerk, Witten, Ruhr

ce - JP Sauer & Sohn Gewehrfabrik, Suhl, Thüringen

ch - Fabrique Nationale d'armes de Guerre S.A., Herstal, Belgium (DWM, Werk Lüttich)

Cp - Unknown

crv - Fritz Werner AG, Maschinen-u. Werkzeugfabrik, Werk II, Berlin

cxm - Gustav Genschow u. Co, Berlin

cyw - Döhlen AG, (Sächsische Gussstahlwerke), Stahlwerke Freitel, Sachsen

D - (on a ax/ar) Gebruder Brehmer, Maschinenfabrik, Leipzig-Plagwitz

dlv - Deutsche Edelstahlwerke AG, Werk Remscheid

Dö, or Do (S/243) - Döhlen AG/cyw, many thanks to Graf for this data.

dot (shield) - Waffen Werke AG, Brünn (Brno)

dou - Waffen Werke AG, Brünn (Bystrica)

dsh - F. Janecek Waffenfabrik, Prag-Nusle II, Giesserei om Teinitz a/S, Tschechoslowakei

FN - Unknown (Fabrique Nationale?)

FV - Unknown

fxo - CG Haenel Waffen Farradfabrik, Suhl, Thüringen

Geco logo (capital G with small "eco" inside) - Gustav Genschow Co. AG, Berlin, (cxm)

gdg - Sendenhorster Maschinenfabrik GmbH, Westfalen (?)

guo - NV Nederlandsche Machinefabriek Artillerie Inrichtingen, Werk Hembrug-Zaandam, Holland

Jp – Unknown

RD - Rheinmetall Düsseldorf, as per Graf. Seen on Steyr examples, (bnz41, 660.)

Ru - Rührstahl, (on 1939 243, 337, bsw codes, 1943 bnz, seen with double circle W, XX depot barrel with Geco logo also) once suspected alternate/early Gustav Genschow Co. possibly. (Or a sub-contractor for Gustav. G) Ru/bys steel.

Si – Unknown, seen on JP Sauer examples.

StG (1939) - Unknown

W double circle (or sight) logo – Böhler subcontractor? Seen on bnz and bsw examples.
FN – Law p. 260

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try to strip the rifle down soon to get the full code and to see if the stock matches the rest of the rifle.

Out of curiosity, does it look to be the original finish on the metal parts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's what I found

Should this read "41W361" and not "40W361" to make this a matching barrel? This rifle was sold to me as a numbers matching K98, so I am getting a little paranoid that it might not be all matching.

Also, I found the following behind the butt plate. I realize that this is beyond the scope of my original thread title, but were these rifles originally stamped under the butt plate? and if so, should this code be the same number as the rest of the parts? There is also a "1" stamped on the far right of the buttstock (about an inch to the right of the screw hole) that you can't really see in this picture
If you can't make out what is stamped, it reads "Ha 3 1141"

Here's a pic of the inside of the stock, under the barrel

and a shot of the underside of the upper hand guard

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
The code number on the barrel is not supposed to be the same as the serial number on the receiver.
It was made before they knew which receiver serial would be assigned.
Your barrel was made in 1940.
Some rifles had the serial number on the barrel and not the receiver but not arrayed around the barrel but rather were stamped along the length of the barrel.
The number under the buttplate will NEVER be the same as the serial number on the receiver.
It's maker and date codes (again).

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The code on your barrel, all barrels, will be the "steel" provider, followed by lot, these barrels were provided in barrel blank form, - to barrel mfg, - Mauser, Sauer, Geco, and dozens more, most of the codes are representative of the barrel blank provider not the barrel maker. These codes (according to Dr.Storz) were obscured during the barrel making process but were re-applied by the maker for accountability (steel quality is an important factor in safety)
In this case as Mauser is a barrel maker it probably made the barrel? Are they e/655 across the top? (this is in large part the manner in which you determine who made the barrel, though sometimes a mfg is clear)
Spitz nice to see your not a plagiarist, more than a few could learn by your example... my information comes from conversations with collectors, Joe Steen, KenH in particular, and of course Dr. Storz; the MRJ has two articles on barrel subcontractors and as Spitz knows a number of collectors have done work on trying to breakdown the coding/mfg system and the process in which barrels were made & supplied.

Nice list you have Spitz, very well done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts