Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a case of the stuff marked K5 Z11 45
What the heck is it? "K5" is a 1943 Kynoch factory code for .303 brit.
...But the wood case is marked 7.92 "MkII" on the outside, and it's tall and narrow like a brit case....I'm confused...Brit 8mm?
The Norma stuff i found in case form too. Marked FINLAND, and "for sporting purposes" in a wooden case, with military style 15 round cartons. 174 grain cupro nickel soft points.
Thanks for any info on the K5 stuff, i can't figure out what it is!
usrifle

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
ammo for use in captured weapons..made by the brits tha canadians made some too i have some on the shelf that i am saveing for i don't know

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
British 8mm

Yes British 7.92mm (8mm mauser) but not for "captured weapons" this is for British Tank MGs. The standard British Tank MG was a BESA design in 8mm Mauser. There was TONS of this ammo made during WW2. You will find Ball, AP, Tracer and Incendiary. Standard stuff / not "Hot MG ammo"...but old and may have suffered poor storage since the 1940s.

Norma sporting 8mm is good "Euro Spec" 8mm hunting ammo. Boxer and NONcorrosive and all.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's!

Great information guy's, thank you.
I found a case of these each, plus a case of portugese 8mm.
What should i pay per case? All 3 were 800-900 round cases.
Thanks!
usrifle

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Pay...?? Current trends (UP!) in ammo prices put the Kynoch at about 20cents/round, the Portugese (if recent-late 60s & up) noncorrosive at about 30cents/rd.

And that is older NORMA production...but it sells for over a DOLLAR a round these days. I can't think of any shooter who would want or need a whole case (800rds / $800!!!) of Norma softpoints. Best customer for that is someone who will sell it off by the box.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Hey, great info again Ammolab, thanks! I said "pay" because i just grabbed a smple round from 2 of the 3 cases.
While the Port can in the wood case had been "cracked", it wasn't "open" for me to get a box out.
Shoot...I may be able to buy all 3 cases for a very reasonable price.
we'll see...
usrifle

·
Registered
637 Posts
British Mark IIz

The British 7.92mm rounds are Ball Mark IIz, the "z" indicating nitro cellulose propellant as opposed to cordite. You were reading the "IIz" in the headstamp as Z11.

198grn lead cored boat-tailed bullet with velocity of 2480fps at 90 feet. Pressure 21 tons psi maximum.

As previously posted this was made for the BESA MG in British armoured vehicles and millions of rounds were made in the various loads. Canada also made the Bren gun in 7.92mm for supply to the Nationalist Chinese and much British ammo also went there.

The Kynoch factory at Kidderminster (K5)was not built just for the production of .303 inch ammo, and several calibres were made there.

Regards
TonyE

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ammo

Thanks tonyE...I broke the round down, it has a powder that looks like a modern propellant.
Boat tail, berdan primed like you said.
I'll get a pic up.
Thanks
usrifle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts