Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
1950s Yugo. Known for hard and recessed primers. Has been surefire for me once I replaced the striker springs in my Mauser rifles. Some lots have bad brass and can split at the head. I would avoid shooting in semi auto rifles because of this issue. Its not a super common issue but it's definitely something to be aware of. I shoot it regularly with only one box having issues with hangfires. The rest has been ok thus far.

·
Banned
647 Posts
In other words, it wasn't made right.

It's garbage-grade ammunition that you would scrap if you had anything else to shoot.

M
Show us on the doll where the 1950s yugo ammo hurt you.

But as far as the original poster is asking,
Ive fired thousands of rounds of this stuff. Hard primers, the occasional dud, the occasional split neck. Corrosive. The usual things you would expect from 65-70 year old ammo. That being said I still buy it up whenever I can. If you are looking for something fun at the range, then buy it. If you want it to perform like brand new match grade ammo, dont buy it. Because its not.

John.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I shoot a lot of this in my full auto Browning MGs. They love it. My Maxims not so much - but they have a weaker firing pin spring- there is an occasional dud, but not really any worse than any other surplus. I save duds and reload into new Boxer brass - same powder load and bullet. Used to be decent cheap ammo. Now, not as cheap but I find cases of the stuff locally fairly often. Garage sales and small auctions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Show us on the doll where the 1950s yugo ammo hurt you.

But as far as the original poster is asking,
Ive fired thousands of rounds of this stuff. Hard primers, the occasional dud, the occasional split neck. Corrosive. The usual things you would expect from 65-70 year old ammo. That being said I still buy it up whenever I can. If you are looking for something fun at the range, then buy it. If you want it to perform like brand new match grade ammo, dont buy it. Because its not.

John.
Exactly! Shot hundreds of it through my Hakim. Even done boxer conversion to fired brass, annealed and reloaded well over 1000 ctgs of that yugo brass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.