Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the fair market value for this Moukhala?
I believe it is of North African decent. It is 60 1/4" overall; with a .50 (approx) smooth bore caliber barrel that is 46 1/4" long. Rear to the stock is bone inlaid and the barrel is secured with metal wrappings. I have had it for a number of years and it is time to reduce. It has a brass and horn powder flask that goes with it as a set when sold. See pics. art

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Unfortunately, unless it is tied to some documented historical event or person, I don’t see it bringing more than a few hundred dollars. The ones I have seen that sell for more a much more elaborate in both mechanics and décor. I am in no way an expert on these, but the collector’s market is pretty thin when it comes to these oddities. Most people are afraid of firing them (and rightly so), so they are simply nothing more than a mantle piece to most gun enthusiast.
Yours is definitely an older piece, and not one of the recant-made Khyber-Pass trade-guns flooding the market. But they are still a bit odd for the average collector to bring much over $300 – unless you find an eager buyer.
Unless you just want a few bills for it, I would give it to a relative who might want a keep-sake from “Uncle Art’s” collection. Also, if the breach looks stable, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull it out every 4[SUP]th [/SUP]of July and fire a few newspaper wads into the air to amuse the youngsters.
Again, I hope you sell it more than I estimate, as I think it is a fascinating piece of history, -- but I haven’t seen much of a market for them in today’s economy.

Again, just my opinion, but I wish you luck.
TOM

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,035 Posts
Not much to add. $3-500.00 on Gunbroker. Mostly due to the ivory in the stock. Other than that, it's pretty plain. The powder horn on the other hand, could be worth as much, or more than the gun. Depending on how well executed it is. It can be sold on fleabay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.