Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best way to remove a staked screw?

Topic:
Topic author: Bob in Maine
Subject: What is the best way to remove a staked screw?
Posted on: 10/02/2005 08:35:10 AM
I have one action screw on a T99 that the Japanese gunsmith must have been mad as he** at. It is the deapest stake punch mark on any of my T99's. How would you remove this screw? Bob.

Replies:

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 10/02/2005 10:41:29 AM
I wouldn't. I never fool with staked screws unless there's an indication of active rust going on under the wood. It's kinda like opening sealed ammo boxes - once undone, it's never the same.

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 10/02/2005 11:34:56 AM
Hey ,thats a better analogy than the one I kept coming up with...but once its done it cant be undone so I dont do it as a rule.I suppose it could be worked loose with a really good fitting screwdriver if one wanted ,but theres always a chance of really trashing the screw head,just rock it back and forth till it frees up.the fine tip of a dremel tool could be used to clear the peened place if it was really driven together deep,but no matter how you do it your gonna really mess up the parts I fear.Maybe one of the master machinists like RCB or someone will have a sure fire way tho.

Reply author: Mike
Replied on: 10/03/2005 10:53:20 PM
Drill the head out, hammer in an easy out and twist it loose.
You can go to Ace and get a big shilny self tapping screw to replace it with.
While you're at it cut off all that pesky xtra wood in front of the front swivel.
Toss it and the metal junk on the end along withe the useless cleaning rod and your gun will be a lot lighter.
Also take your grinder to that stupid pansy stamped on the reciever so it will be legal and not disrespectful to the emperor.
You'll want to bend the bolt so it will clear your scope after you have drilled and tapped the reciever.
You are on your way with a nice project.
Don't forget to send pics of your progress.

Replied on: 10/04/2005 3:36:48 PM
Mike, be nice...there a a few good reasons to remove a staked screw, a busted stock or internal mechanical problems being 2 Ive had to deal with personally.staked screws are meaningless if the gun is recently busted at the wrist for instance..gotta take it apart to change the screws.also its sometimes needed to disassemble to free a trigger assembly from 60 odd years of cosmo and gunk,unfortunate but unavoidable sometimes...tho i did follow your advice getting in the mood for deerseason..I had this extra no series laying around

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9303&stc=1&d=1191718451
Download Attachment:
74.01 KB so I did away with the extra wood,used that funny metal thingy to hold my window up at night,sanded it down and refinished and your so right its much prettyer now and so much lighter,also the target peep is much more accurate than the old icky sight was with its funny pokey out wing thingys...

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9304&stc=1&d=1191718451
Download Attachment:
72.98 KB I left the funny flower tho ,to make it prettier for the girls..

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9305&stc=1&d=1191718451

Download Attachment:
80.08 KB Im so glad you made me think of this use for it..I usually just grind the guns, down strip em and sell the parts seperately on ebay.not like theres any shortage of pristine old army guns......wonder if maybe a chrome plated ,snubby t-14 wouldnt be cool?

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 10/04/2005 11:08:44 PM

Reply author: jarjarbinks11
Replied on: 10/04/2005 11:48:53 PM
i had a simliar problem with a short bayonet lug screw. i had to take a dremel and carefully cut another slot into the head so i could use a phillips head driver on it. that worked for me. although it destroyed the screw it ended up saving the barrel from some ugly rust that was starting under the handguard. hope this helps out!

Reply author: Mike
Replied on: 10/06/2005 01:45:46 AM
Here's mine. It was done before I got it.
This weekend I am going after a omplete all matching KIA mailed back T99 with sling, cover, rod, pod and papers.
I can't wait. Will submit before and after pics.

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9306&stc=1&d=1191718451

Download Attachment:
112.76 KB

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9308&stc=1&d=1191718451

Download Attachment:
35.7 KB

Reply author: rgl3945
Replied on: 10/06/2005 7:59:16 PM
You can sometimes use a nail set (medium or large) and carefully push back on the displaced metal by hammering gently on the nail set until the staking is no longer holding well. The concave surface of the nail set is perfect for digging metal, and it's harder than the screw. It is kind of like having a very small woodworking chisel for metal. I have completely removed a screw head on a 98 Mauser trigger guard by digging with the nail set until the head sheared from the shaft.

Replied on: 10/08/2005 07:47:40 AM
I was teasing about the rifle I didnt cut up the matching one,Ive had the shortend series 37 for a while, its one of my "wall of shame" sporter sub collection.

Reply author: Bill B
Replied on: 10/08/2005 1:40:29 PM
Dave, Do you keep your guns under the bed or in the bed? You must have a good woman

Replied on: 10/09/2005 07:10:22 AM
I cant complain about the "old" lady she lets me lay out guns on the couch on her comforters,never gripes much about my spending,and even encourages me to buy new ones for the collection.she usually even can laugh when the cable gets shut off because I found a rifle I just had to have,instead..I cant keep them under the bed tho,beds too small,they have their own room,with floor to ceiling racks on both end walls and a 15 foot double rack hidden in the full lenth wall closet on the third wall,a computer and 2 14gun cabinets on the other ..the only complaint Ive ever had about the G/F is her one cat climbs and get into everything knocking stuff down, friday I came home and she had climbed on my end wall rack and what was in her way so she pushed it off was my series 9's and 2 11's,luckily nothing was damaged by the fall to the carpet.

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Bob in Maine:
Since I am one of those who believe in gun safety both for myself and if I ever sell off a rifle from my collection, all rifles are disassembled. To me a staked screw is not important, so I have methods for disassembly. I start with a hand impact driver if the screw doesn't turn easily. I keep every screw on a divided parts tray, that way each screw goes back to its original location, in this way the heads go back to the same stake mark.
I have only had to remove frozen / rusted trigger guard screws twice, had to end up drilling the screw head off till it broke off the shaft, then you can drive off the receiver. One of the more offending rusted screws is the last tang screw where it rusts into the long steel sleeve. Once the action is off you can then with a long punch you can drive off the sleeve / screw shank out of the stock.
Also a friend of mine used to save those cutoff long tang screws, in a jigg he hand made he was able to take the shank cut it heat and reform the cut end into a head, remove it and cut a slot, in essence make a rear band screw.
Lots of ways to skin an ole pole cat.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,991 Posts
Ahhhh! The Humanity! Ahhhh!
Think I'll start ripping open my T-14 & T-94 ammo boxes - might be some corrosion goin on in there. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Removing Staked Screws

An elderly gunsmith friend of mine, L.P. (Pappy) Hylton,born in 1888, years ago, showed me a trick in removing stubborn screws. Take an old time brace and bit, you younger folks may not know what it is, get a screw driver with a proper size head or grind it to the proper size to fit the screw head. Then cut the handle off the screw driver and place the blade in the chuck on the brace and with the rifle in a vise, aline the brace and screw bit carefully and gently apply pressure. You have lots of pressure with this set up. It may not remove all, but it will remove a lot, without damaging the head. I hope this helps some.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hey Adogs :
Sorry about that, I can hear your teeth gnashing all the way here in Rialto. Ammo in boxes isn't a problem but cartridges in a T-26 holster do grow verdigris. Got a joke for you : what do closet queens and staked screws got in common ?, neither are to be disturbed.... he, he, he.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,991 Posts
I guess we must remain in disagreement on this subject. The only staked screws I've ever delt with were on a '99 sniper where the vet badly mangled them and the lower band trying to sporterize the rifle. Thank goodness the staked screws prevented this crime from happening. I had a hell of a time getting the screws out & the band off, but all worked out well. As far as safety - I can see the whole inside surface of the chamber from the rear & one could pressure test the barrel and chamber to be sure. I have no problem taking the 6.5 rifles apart - they aren't staked so nothing is lost. With all the parts & stock swapping that goes on with the T-99s I like to see untouched screws on my rifles.
Oh, and that verdigris wipes off :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Wow, I dont own that couch or that rifle( either of them) any more. Have a few more gun racks now then I did then also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts