Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order some non-corrosive 54R. Considering price, accuracy,reliability what would you order?
I'm not a reloader... but I do save brass of its easily reloadable. I'm willing to order steel case if rusting is not a problem when stored long term in an ammo can. I don't require match accuracy but I'd like my ammo to be generally as accurate as I am with iron sights. Brown bear? Silver bear? Wolf? PPU?
Thanks for any and all opinions.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
I want to order some non-corrosive 54R. Considering price, accuracy,reliability what would you order?
I'm not a reloader... but I do save brass of its easily reloadable. I'm willing to order steel case if rusting is not a problem when stored long term in an ammo can. I don't require match accuracy but I'd like my ammo to be generally as accurate as I am with iron sights. Brown bear? Silver bear? Wolf? PPU?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...ussian+7.62x54R+148grn+FMJ+20rd+Box&groupid=6

Lot of people have good stuff to say about this ammo . Tho out of stock right now.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Centerfire has Brown Bear, and Silver Bear in stock.

I hope I didn't cross the lines Moderators.

Wendell

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,546 Posts
Privi Partizan (PPU) is known to be decent ammo and they make both 150gr soft point and 182 gr FMJ. It is non-corrosive and in reloadable boxer-primed brass. People will buy the once-fired brass from you if you don't reload (or you can simply send it to me!!!).

One place among many that usually carries it:

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r

IMHO brown bear and silver bear is junk (is steel cased and non-reloadable bargain basement).

If you're storing for long term - probably corrosive-primered milsurp ammo is definitely your best bet as it is in sealed tins.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,486 Posts
Many of us just go ahead and shoot corrosive. I shoot it in my M91s and 91/38s. I have not shot non-corrosive since I started buying cans of surplus. Works great and the price is right.

It is quite easy to clean. The only imperative is that you do clean it relatively soon after shooting.

If you want to see lots of corrosive cleaning ideas, just search for cleaning corrosive ammo. Most of the methods work; that is why the authors of each post are so passionate about their way of cleaning.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
You can find superb Novosibirsk milsurp silvertip, corrosive, if you look for "188" tins. This, if stored right, is very accurate and often comes from the 1970s. Just clean well. I have many times shot sub-MOA groups at 100 yards with it from my better tins. Nothing wrong with corrosive ammo in a Mosin as you can easily clean everything quickly.

The older Novosibirsk is my favorite for Mosins, though I shoot the above white box new Novosibirsk (marked "LVE" on the head stamp with date) in the SVD and SVT-40 as I can't do a perfect cleaning immediately every time.

The above white box new "LVE" ammo is what we buy from the Russians to give to Afghan troops and police. Unfortunately some of them seem prone to shoot us with it, but that is another story.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks. I have around 6K rounds of mostly corrosive Bulgarian and Russian. 1 open 440 can, 11 sealed cans and one sealed can of 300 + other odds and ends.
I want to purchase around 1K of non-corrosive so I have the option of using my Mosin Nagants without need of immediate cleaning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts