Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking at buying a couple of Romanian G kits. I know lots of guys have here like the heck out of them. I have been trying to do a little reading up on them where I can find info.

The ones im looking at look like they have a triangle on them also. Cant tell if it has an arrow in it, would it? I know its Romanian and not Russian, maybe Romania has a similar marking.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Joey

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,540 Posts
Yes it's a similar mark between Russian and Romania but still Romanian.

IMO they were cheap, in good shape and had all the evil features an AKM was supposed to have, and they were available in quantity before they actually started enforcing the clinton barrel ban and they were of decent quality. I prefer the hungarian kits more but the G's are nice kits to build on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I`ve built 10 rifles from G-kits, they are great. The G stands for Guarda or the romanian civil guard. The rifles were made in semi-auto only for issue to civilian troops in times of national emergency, they were marked with an orange "G" on the rear sight block to identify them from the standard full auto military rifles, other than that they are the same. Try to get one made in the 1970`s the metal work seems to be of higher quality but the later ones are quite serviceable as well. I bought the first ones when they were $99 wish I had bought a truck load then but thats the way this surplus game works........hindsight is 20/20.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,474 Posts
On the triangle mark....

I have a 1977 kit that has a triangle with an arrow in it. I have two other kits from the early 80's that have an empty triangle. It appears that the earlier rifles had the arrow.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish they were still 99 bucks. These are about 180.00. Not sure what receiver I will use yet should I get one or two of them. This will be my first build complete build. I have done some mods on my others but never a complete build. I am looking forward to it though.
Thanks for the info thus far on the G kits.

R

·
0 Posts
They also dipped the buttstock into black paint to make a black stripe at the bottom....well, let me rephrase...the painted or dipped. I've seen both. Insignificant, but there are some variations to the painted G...some orange some red.

R

·
0 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. The NDS-3 is a fine receiver, but not the right choice if you plan to engrave the original selector markings. The NDS-3 has an S&F stamped into it, with a detent dimpled into the receiver. The NDS-1 has none of this, leaving you a clean slate to engrave from.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I`ve built 10 rifles from G-kits, they are great. The G stands for Guarda or the romanian civil guard. The rifles were made in semi-auto only for issue to civilian troops in times of national emergency, they were marked with an orange "G" on the rear sight block to identify them from the standard full auto military rifles, other than that they are the same. Try to get one made in the 1970`s the metal work seems to be of higher quality but the later ones are quite serviceable as well. I bought the first ones when they were $99 wish I had bought a truck load then but thats the way this surplus game works........hindsight is 20/20.
I disagree that the "G" kits were semi-auto only. Each one I have seen has been from a standard AKM full auto rifle. If you look at the cut receiver you can see the "third hole" for the full auto sear. The bolt carriers also have the sear trip lug on the bottom.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
jimmy, i believe you are right, some G's were advertised as being sold with all the FA internals.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,419 Posts
G kits

I got all the Full Auto internals with my Romy G Kit.But I seem to have lost them. mike

V

·
0 Posts
They were made up as full auto some say but left out the auto sears.This was incase they needed to be made full auto quick . Although I got some with all the full auto parts and they were stamped matching except the sear was unmarked.They were nice kits .In great shape.I built 6 or seven of them, made some into copys of other countrys AK's and sold them off when I had to or I did get an original kit from the country I coppied. All I have left is no g rifles or kits and two military non G kits..

·
Registered
377 Posts
07 ffl

It is my understanding that if I do build an AK , I have a Romanian G kit and NoDak Spud reciever and will get started on it as soon as I finish refurbing vz 52, is that I could not sell it unless I have a 07 FFL?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is my understanding that if I do build an AK , I have a Romanian G kit and NoDak Spud reciever and will get started on it as soon as I finish refurbing vz 52, is that I could not sell it unless I have a 07 FFL?

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts