Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a little slow on this forum so I thought I'd throw up a project I'm working on for my other hobby and see if anyone recognizes it:

(It may not go bang but it is historically important.)

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually HO scale, but it isn't an electric freight car.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
One of the early diesel electrics.
Don't know which one, sorry, not my area of interest in the railroad world.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Upon further consideration (and old memories resurfacing!), it appears to be one of the early "boxcab" prototypes.
Still don't recognize which one, though.
IIRC, Baldwin and GM (before it morphed into EMD) both made samples, possibly others as well.

What are you planning to power this thing with.
Been a long time since I dipped into the model railroad world, had to drop out when my eyesight started to fail, actually dropped out of most everything.
Cornea replacement fixed all that but time, money and space limitations caused the railroad modeling to stay packed away.
Occasionally I review videos and online articles, lots of changes in that world since I was active.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, one of the earliest boxcab diesel-electric road engines:
One of the most popular modern locomotives in the USA is the SD70 Manufactured by Electro Motive Diesel (EMD):

Before it was Electro Motive Diesel it was Electro Motive Division of General Motors and before that it was Electro Motive Corporation. EMC started out making gas-electric self-propelled railcars:

GM bought it and started producing diesel-electric locomotives, first as switchers and streamliners, most famously the Zephyr line:

Then in 1935 they broke into the road engine market with the EMC 1800. Powered by two Winton 900 hp diesels, AAR trucks and GE motors these locomotives were the direct predecessors of the more famous E and F locomotives:

EMC produced five 1800’s all in 1935: Two were demonstrators #511 and 512. Never sold, these locomotives were shown to prospective customers. They were scrapped in 1937 after they served their purpose:

Two were sold to the ATSF for use with the Super Chief. They were always operated together and the Santa Fe later uglified the lead unit, giving it a clown nose with a cab on top, then took the cabs out of the rear unit. They were traded in to EMD in 1953 and converted to booster units.

The last one was Baltimore and Ohio #50

It was purchased to haul the Royal Blue and did so for two whole years until replaced by new E-units. Then it was uglified and turned over to the Chicago and Alton to pull the Lincoln. After WW2 the new Gulf Mobile and Ohio inherited the locomotive and restored it to its original beauty as #1200, where it was used for local passenger and branchline service until retired and donated to the National Museum of Transportation in St Louis. There it sits today, fading and rusting.

(All photos but the last 2 from Wikipedia)

The drive train is from an RS-3 donor engine, the superstructure is all scratchbuilt. I'm stalled on construction while I wait for a bunch of detail parts.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,642 Posts
That is an impressive, worthwhile project, something I also hope to do in the future.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Thank You for the overview.
I wasn't aware of the history of the series, nor did I know that one still survives but, as I said, not my area of interest.
Hopefully, at least one of the Winton diesels is still operable, otherwise it will probably remain as a static display.
Don't know if the prime mover on this series is the same as was in the stream liner sets but parts for Winton diesels do not grow on trees, these days.
A while back I visited the cab unit of the "Flying Yankee" at the shop in Clairmont, NH, that restoration was stalled by the lack of sleeves for the cylinders.
Apparently they were trying to reverse engineer them using a shop in China (the only place that would take the job), it was not going well.
I hear that the whole project has since been abandoned and the set has moved to someplace in Maine.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Oh Boy! You Model Railroad guys scare the bejeezus out of me! After all these years, their call is still there inside me. After a prolonged and almost consuming dance with the hobby in my youth, my mother saved my sanity by selling all of it while I was occupied going for five mile runs at 0500. All gone when I came home. Sad/mad at first but life goes on and there was always guns, soooo...... Just last week I went to buy out a fellows guns and when I entered the garage I was met with a multi level setup that FILLED a three car attached. Everything possible to imagine was represented in an unbelievably skillfully done manner. Stacks of NIB rolling stock, boxes of rail/parts/etc in another room, OMG!!! "All this has to go sometime soon" he says. I had to leave. I didn't buy anything because I HAD to leave.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked it up from my dad when I was a kid. I always liked building things more than running trains but my older brother loved running trains so he built the layouts. When he left home he took the railroad with him and I got involved in wargaming so it fell by the wayside for me. After the Navy I discovered guns (grew up in Illinois with no guns in the house) but now that I am close to retiring I picked up railroading again. Still prefer building things, my layout is mostly railroad yards and sidings to store the cars I built.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Oh Boy! You Model Railroad guys scare the bejeezus out of me! After all these years, their call is still there inside me. After a prolonged and almost consuming dance with the hobby in my youth, my mother saved my sanity by selling all of it while I was occupied going for five mile runs at 0500. All gone when I came home. Sad/mad at first but life goes on and there was always guns, soooo...... Just last week I went to buy out a fellows guns and when I entered the garage I was met with a multi level setup that FILLED a three car attached. Everything possible to imagine was represented in an unbelievably skillfully done manner. Stacks of NIB rolling stock, boxes of rail/parts/etc in another room, OMG!!! "All this has to go sometime soon" he says. I had to leave. I didn't buy anything because I HAD to leave.
Yes, the siren song is loud for those that hear it.
I've been tempted a couple of times myself, especially upon seeing a good bit of scratch building or a well appointed layout.
But, No, it cannot be, there is still no room for anything decent, there isn't really room for static displays.

I content myself by watching the Pan-Am switch the covered gondola's at the cable factory and with the train set that runs between the quarry and the cement plant.
The boys were out over this past weekend running their speeders up and down the line from Wilton to end of track at the Modnadnock Paper Mill, they were having fun............

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I had it bad for a few years after I got out of the navy. Used to buy the rolling stock car kits assemble them and hand paint them. My layout was steam based and rather small and all ho guage. Tunnels and mountains were all done by hand and had a little primitive control panel for lights,power and railroad crossings. Then got bored with the whole thing. Boxed up all the rolling stock, took down all the tract and switches, and converted the wooden platform into a workbench, In later years I sold off everything.
Still wonder what would have happened had I stick with it. My two car garage is part machine shop, part wood working shop,and general catch all for everything else.Frank

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,770 Posts
Well, question answered before i got on this string, so no comment until now. I have some benchwork in storage plus some rolling stock. Wife says i need to get things up and rolling, even if in limited space. So - I guess I'd better.

Prize (in my own view) of my stock is an old Hallmark (Bobbye Hall's import mark, that died with her) T&NO P-14 streamlined Pacific from the Sunbeam. Brass import and i need to paint it (or get it professionally panted). And then kit-bash some cars to go with it.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Set up a N gauge, with my son, on a large door which could be stacked upright and took up hardly any space.
At school we had a loft some 30' long with a dedicated Hornby OO track around the walls. Had to duck under the trestle/track to get into the control area.
Happy days.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Set up a N gauge, with my son, on a large door which could be stacked upright and took up hardly any space.
At school we had a loft some 30' long with a dedicated Hornby OO track around the walls. Had to duck under the trestle/track to get into the control area.
Happy days.
Last dance I had with the hobby was something similar.
A new shop opened on my route to work and, out of curiosity, I stopped to have a look.
Big mistake!
All the (then) new products sparked up the interest and I was off.
Built a smallish layout, using techniques and materials that made the whole thing light and man moveable.
Worked out fairly well, I learned a lot about that sort of construction and had a good time.
Like Dave, though, I prefer to be building, not running, so ultimately, I grew bored with it and tore it all down.
Packed it all up and stashed it away.
No telling, I might go for another dance someday..............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts