Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help appreciated on this. It is a detachable handle/dial for what? Center finger screw would attach or detach unit. Made of bakelite (? or other early plastic type material) cast around steel inserts. 100mm in diameter. Any help on application or translation of marking would be great. Thanks
Automotive tire Material property Gas Rim Circle
Brown Door Handle Rim Wood

· Gold Bullet member
6,250 Posts
It looks like a fuse timer adjustment wheel.
Clockwise increase and counter decreases the seconds.
I dont know what ordnance in the world would require such an elaborate tool to adjust timed fuses, aside of perhaps torpedoes or something of that size and nature. Are there any inspection marks anywhere on the piece?

· Registered
3,739 Posts
My google fu gives:
減 <----- 時秒管信 ----> 増

Decrease <---- Time Control ---> Increase

I'd think a torpedo would only have contact or magnetic detonators, not timed?

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no inspection
I dont know what ordnance in the world would require such an elaborate tool to adjust timed fuses, aside of perhaps torpedoes or something of that size and nature. Are there any inspection marks anywhere on the piece?
Thank you for the information; there are no inspection marks on the piece.

· Registered
2,276 Posts
All artillery had fuse setters. You want a shell to detonate above the ground to have a greater effect. Similar for anti-aircraft as you want for it to detonate at the right altitude.

· Gold Bullet member
6,250 Posts
Yes, but that big 'ol wheel doesn't look like it'll fit any artillery fuse that I know of, and usually the timed artillery or cannon fuses whether army or navy looks like they were adjusted by hand. Having said that, I dont profess to know much about fuses.
We need input from ordnance experts. What say you, Type 14 ?

· Registered
3,739 Posts
What little I have found online seems to use 時秒管信 in relation to setting fuses (and translate it as 'fuse second time'). As seen on page 260 of 'Japanese Military and Technical Terms (Japanese-English) 30 July 1945'. I have also seen a little bit that shows larger fuse setting equipment where you rest the round or projectile into a cradle and set the fuse to the desired setting using the equipment. So, maybe part of one of those?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts