Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 375 Posts

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,817 Posts
Nah, not waiting, just hit it early and it was on a subject I have some knowledge of and references to refresh memory handy.

The pictures are both Curtiss aircraft, the radial powered bird with contra-props being the XP-60C-Curtiss Electric Cotraprop, R-2800 power); the bird with in-line power looks to be an XP-60 or XP-60D. I'll have to dig a little more and see if i can figure out which.

Neither was successful. They were intended to replace the P-40 (essentially a re-engined P-36/Hawk 75 and pretty elderly, dating to the mid-30s) in production, and they didn't.

Edit - after comparing the photos in Jones and the one posted, I think the picture on the right is an XP-60 with an Allison V-1710. Shape of tail and nose contour plus lack of radio mast fits that better than the XP-60D which was Merlin powered and had a larger tail.

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Clyde WINS!!!!! The last replacement for the aging P-40 Warhawk, a plane that was obsolete at the start of the war, and served in combat till the end of the war!! The cleaned up lines of the XP-60D, along with the Merlin engine created a 450mph Warhawk! Unfortunetly we already had the P-51, and there wern't enough merlins to build both aircraft.

Again:

What aircraft?
Diffrence from normal?

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

101,817 Posts
Plus the capability to carry an additional FFAR "Mighty Mouse" air-to-air rockets in the pods on the wings.

A warm fuzzy to anybody who knows what its original designation was.

· Registered
914 Posts
Appears to be an F-94C. Can't tell what isn't "normal" for this aircraft. Are you referring to the fact that it was rocket vice gun armed?
Don

· Registered
914 Posts
F-97A. Really should refresh the page after I've looked something up
Don

101,817 Posts
Axtually - i show YF-97A with 108 ordered as F-97A, but redesignated as F-94C before any were much more than order nuimbers. First, I think, "no gun" fighter/iterceptor in USAF.

· Registered
1,666 Posts
Right on the money...They were ordered as F-97A, but before production began designation was changed to F-94C... I'm kind of partial to the F-89 myself.

The F-86D "Sabre Dog" (F-95) was the first All AAM equiped/no gun interceptor.

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Romanian IAR 80?

· Registered
914 Posts
It is a F-94, designated as a -2 TRAINER! Longer cockpit for a PI. Only 20-30 built. Non known to survive.
Not sure I understand. That particular aircraft (SN 50-1006) is on display at the Peterson AFB museum outside of Colorado Springs. They think its an F-94C. Also, it has clearly survived.
Don

101,817 Posts
It is a F-94, designated as a -2 TRAINER! Longer cockpit for a PI. Only 20-30 built. Non known to survive.

Again:

What plane?
Successfull?

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas
Curtiss CW-21 Demon. Not successful. I think a few may have been sold to the ChiNats, who'd apparently buy anything.

101,817 Posts
Could be - I think the Dutch may have bought some too. They would also buy what they could get in lieu of things they would have preferred but which were unavailable. As shown by their purchase of Brewster B-339s (export F2A Buffalos) and Johnson rifles.

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Clyde WINS!!!! Sold to the Nat. Chinese and the Dutch. There are some reports that it performed well.

Again!

What plane?
Success?
Bonus point. Was built from what airframe?

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

· Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
12,125 Posts
Bell X-5 built on Messerschmitt P.1101 airframe. Unsuccessful, swing wing design, the wing movement could cause an unrecoverable spin. Killed one test pilot before being cancelled.

41 - 60 of 375 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.