Gunboards Forums banner
361 - 375 of 375 Posts

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,817 Posts
Ssnider I"m am deeply sorry. I did not see your post in my hast.

ssnider WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What gave it away?

prospector24 you are only half right. He designed aircraft for Argentina before moving to India.

Nobody is going to argue the merits of the Ta 152 VS P-51?

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Again ssnider I am embarresed by my lack of attention.
I wouldn't want to be driving a TA-152 against a Mustang. It was too optimized for high altitude work with long wings. If you got into a furball with a P-51, you'd probably be in trouble, presuming equally skilled pilots.

· Copper Bullet member
9,980 Posts
Since you're in Texas, I'll guess Tex Hill (AVG)?

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
1hour,32 minuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssnider WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was this a WAG or have you already seen it?

Wendell Fertig royally pissed off the "Supreme Commander" by doing something thar MacArthur said could not be done. He formed a sucessful resistence unit in Philippines after the fall of Luzon. He also gave himself a promotion, from Light Colonel to Brig Gen.
In retalliation "Dugout Doug" tried to refuse material support for his operation, he was ordered to by the BIG BOSS himself!!
By 1945 the AFIP could field 30,000 armed troops and controlled over half of Minindao Island. They also had intellegence troops on ALL of the main islands and supplied the American Army with much valuble information.

"Dougout" had his final word in the end, refusing to make Fertigs self proclamed rank permanent. Wendell Fertig finished the war as a Major.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

More to come.

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,817 Posts
Connect the name "Wills" to Fertig's and tell what you know. Dad came to be a good friend with with Colonel Wills in the latter part of the 20th century, both being involved with Scottish Rite Masonry in Dallas at that time.

· Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Sorry for taking so long to continue this series. Between work, home, and life in general I haven't had a lot of time for research.

A easy quicky:

Who were Faith, Hope, and Chairity?
Why were they importent?

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

3,710 Posts
Gladiator Movies?

A squadron of Gladiators fought in the skies over Britain in 1940. I have heard some fought in East Africa, Arabia and Malaysia in 1941-42 as well. I also suspect some were found (but did not fight) in various Commonwealth and other countries, like Iraq, under British influence/control. They were fine aircraft, and matched up favorably against other biplane fighters such as Italian CR32 and CR42 over Africa, as well as Russian I-15 over Finland. I wonder if any fought prewar Czech (Avio) or German (Herschel) biplane fighters? Or Jap biplanes in China from '37 (Chiang bought a little of everything)? Or if any film footage of Glads is available?

361 - 375 of 375 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.