Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Oh my god, the flood of these guys with more money than sense will absolutely ruin this hobby, it will be just like collecting german stuff.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
I'd say it already is, the German stuff's pretty well dried up and what hasn't is at least well enough known that nobody gives away old kraut rifles anymore.

Blame yourselves, though, you've made Arisakas understandable, accessable, and dispelled the myths that kept it unpopular.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my god, the flood of these guys with more money than sense will absolutely ruin this hobby, it will be just like collecting german stuff.
This is a primo piece ( I got the extra photos from the seller). It would be hard to top, but the price really surprised me.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I know is that I feel mighty good about the one I now have. I bought it in '06 for $700 :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It's a shame that a guy like me, who just started in the Japanese hobby, will have no chance on being able to afford some nice quality pieces, unless I get reaaly lucky.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And, I used to get laughed at for buying this "junk". I mentioned my "disease" to a fella at work a while back & he said "you collect that junk"? Some folks still don't get it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a shame that a guy like me, who just started in the Japanese hobby, will have no chance on being able to afford some nice quality pieces, unless I get reaaly lucky.
Don't fret, there are still deals out there.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Quite right.

Only two bidders, one is the senior editor of SGN, for what that's worth.

The other guy has the same last name as the new CEO of Bank America! Maybe a celebration.

Nice rifle, but perhaps several years too soon on the price.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Price surprised me too! Are we certain dustcover was matching?
Funny you should mention that. I went back & checked the photos he sent. The dust cover photo is fuzzy & looks like it's numbered 420 when it should be 410. Hmmm.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,493 Posts
There are still some good deals out there. Here's a Nagoya 1st Series I picked-up at the Saratoga Show on Friday night. It's completely matching, including the dust cover. The mum is untouched and the piece is in very good condition. It's not "minty" like the auction piece shown here, but it's what I lovingly refer to as a "just out of the closet" piece. Never fooled with and it remains in essentially "as captured" condition.

The auction piece is nice, and the sling, muzzle cover and bayonet make it nicer, but a price of $2800+ is simply insane. I admit that I am spoiled, having collected Japanese rifles for 25+ years, but the price is inexplicable even for today's market. I simply refuse to accept a rational, market-based valuation greater than $1500. I could never pay that, but I can see a dedicated collector, who did not experience the joy of buying Arisakas in the 70's and 80's, paying that premium to get a premium piece. A price of $2800+ is more a reflection of the buyer's deep pockets than the "reasonable" value of the rifle in question.

PS: Sorry for the bad photos. I didn't have time to get a more appropriate colored background and the flash was overpowered by the white backing.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice rifle! So what kind of deal did you get on it??

·
Gold Bullet member
10,493 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is the same guy who originally posted it and a type 38 for something like $4500.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Richard, you can overcome the light background with a photo program. I use photo shop. I use a painters drop cloth for most of my backgrounds & the photos always start out dark. With the program I can adjust the lighting and contrast to get a nice photo. Just a tip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts