Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months we have seen availability of primers and powder all but disappear. Brass also joined that list including some calibers that have been deemed obsolete. But reloading equipment? I tried yesterday to purchase a case trimmer and after searching 12 different on-line retailers, finally found one that had one type in stock...... The same held true for a simple shell holder for my press. Trying to purchase a set of dies was a lesson is extreme frustration! I'm not just talking the more common calibers, but calibers like 6.5 Swiss, 30-40 Kraig and the 5.7x28mm FN - calibers that one would think are not at the top of demand lists......

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I just sold a used set of RCBS carbide 45 acp dies on eBay for $106 plus shipping. That's what's going on! Everything is out of stock and companies are cranking out the high demand common stuff to fill orders, so oddball stuff is not getting restocked. I can't even find cast bullet lube sizers in stock anywhere.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
what happened? where have been for the last 9+ or so months

availability of ammo together with the insane prices if you are able to find ammo, are driving folks who never reloaded are buying reloading equipment, cases, powder etc... that on top of people who do reloading are buying those as well

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Luckily I sorted this back in the Obaminator days.
Trim your wicks O thou foolish virgins. 😲

Reactions: NY50/70

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Primers were short last spring - I ordered them in March and did not get my order filled until SEPT. Only about 40 k, but it took them a long time. DEMAND. Drives price.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with all of the above concerning the shortages of powder, primer, bullets, and common dies, but dies for the obsolete calibers or those not very popular? Shortages of case trimmers and shell holders also???? Haven't looked at availability of presses yet..... This "shortage" just doesn't make much sense to me. How many gun owners that are NEW to reloading can there be to put a run on those items????

·
Registered
212 Posts
Remember too, that companies such as RCBS, located in Commiefornia, were under restrictions from the state.
We saw almost zero shipments from them, and are still waiting on product ordered last spring.
Archery equipment has been just as bad, if not impossible, to get.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
I agree with all of the above concerning the shortages of powder, primer, bullets, and common dies, but dies for the obsolete calibers or those not very popular?

well, if there is a hundred thousand people with those obsolete guns that shoot those obsolete cartridges, and they are reloading them, then it's not a very unpopular caliber then, is it :D .

How many gun owners that are NEW to reloading can there be to put a run on those items????
well, a better question to ask, how many gun owners out there that just have to buy far, far, far more then they will ever need per caliber, that they put a huge crimp in the availability in the market?

once you answer that, you'll know what there is a run on reloading supplies

this has happened every time in the last 2 decades when there is a 'panic buy"; ammo, reloading supplies just dry up.......so it shouldn't come as a compete surprise. people are stupid and panicky...... and when that happens look out, because it spreads faster then a wild fire on everybody else; "s&it, I better get on board and buy 5 thousand round while I still can, now where is my credit card?"

I'm surprised that there are still mags out there that can be bought on-line and elsewhere

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This "shortage" just doesn't make much sense to me. How many gun owners that are NEW to reloading can there be to put a run on those items????
It doesn't take many. The low-volume, low-production stuff is usually made in limited production runs and either ships to distributors or sits in inventory until ordered. Most places that stock this kind of stuff only keep a few of any given part number in stock at a given time. Once those are sold, they would normally place orders to replace. Except the manufacturers aren't filling those orders now because they have shifted production to higher volume, more in demand products.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The problem is not a modest number people who buy mass quantities in normal times. They are part of "normal" and normal markets accomodate them just fine.

Do I have to say what it is? Everyone and his brother started scooping up every round on shelves when progressive nihilists began burning down cities without retribution.

Then a successful president discovered how to alienate enough otherwise-aligned people to get unelected and install a gun-grabber regime. How bad remains to be seen; they're worried about the House but I know nothing.

Result: Ammo that reaches the shelves doesn't stay there.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,646 Posts
The problem is new gun buyers buying ammo. The background check system reported 4.3 million background checks in January 2021.
Assume each of those people bought just 100 rounds of ammo.
That 430 million rounds of ammo bought by new gun owners alone, in just one month.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
1/2 the country owns firearms and bought up ammo to defend themselfs, their country, their familys, and practice too....they bought lots of ammo.

Guns are just heavy clubs without ammo. Makes the bayonet feature for off grid types look good.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I saw this coming two years ago and planned accordingly. My local gun shop has only empty shelves. Another dozen executive orders and we will no longer have on line ammo orders! Trump told us so.....did everyone posting here vote?

Webley

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I saw this coming two years ago and planned accordingly. My local gun shop has only empty shelves. Another dozen executive orders and we will no longer have on line ammo orders! Trump told us so.....did everyone posting here vote?

Webley
Damn right I voted, the problem was that too many gun owners voted with the anti-Constitution crowd because they got their panties in a twist over a Twitter post or the like. we have a fair number of them on this site

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All are very good answers with each having it's good points. I did manage to find 1 supplier that had a Lyman case trimmer in stock at the normal price. I need that item only because Wilson does not make a case trimmer holder for the 5.7x28mm FN ctg.

I went to a local gun show today in Melbourne. Typically there are a couple of vendors that have primers and powder. Those vendors were not at the show and not 1 lb of powder of any type in the place - not even black powder! One vendor had a couple of bricks of large pistol primers at $150.00 per thousand. The best price I have seen for those. Didn't need any so I left them for someone else that needed them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The positive to all this is that there are now millions of new gun owners out there.
Not sure if this is a positive, negative or a neutrality at this point. There seems to be plenty of people out there, even on this forum that are all for gun control. Time will tell but I suspect most of the new gun owners would vote for restrictions on honest citizens in a heart beat, hopefully I'm wrong. I love being wrong but I think freedom is something a lot of people either don't believe in today or don't understand what freedom really is

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.