Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at k98 prices at various web sites (AuctionArms, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica) over the past few months. I was really surprised to see what the general prices are going for. Very average RC K98's for $400+. Didn't think much of it until I went to the Birch Run Gun Show in Michigan yesterday.

Before I go into the Gun show finds, I think it is important that you have an idea of what I currently have and what I bought them for. All are in excellent shape and are RC unless otherwise noted.

1. BNZ 41 $200 in 2005: Walnut, flat butt plate, milled parts, original sling, capture screws,cleaning rod.
2. S147 1940 $325 in 2005: Lam. Cupped butt plate, milled parts sling, capture screws, cleaning rod.
3. Yugo Capture 100% Blue BNZ 42 $160 in 2006: Walnut, flat butt plate, stamped parts, all other parts intact.
4. Dou 43 $225 in 2007: Lam., Cupped butt plate, milled, original sling, all other parts intact
5. Norwegian BNZ 41 in 30.06 $300 in 2007: Walnut, cupped butt plat, mostly milled parts, 75% of parts matching to the barrel SN. All other parts intact.

I wasn't looking for any rifle in paticular at the show. However, when there have been dryspells of over a year when I don't even see one K98, this show must have had at least 15-18. All were Mitchells, RC's or YC's.

One vendor tried to tell me that the two K98's he was selling was almost as good as a vet bring back. I asked him what the price was. He tells me $500 for each one. I asked him what was so special about them since they were RC (showed him the x on the receivers). He said that is what he paid for them. Another vender had about six RC, starting at $325 for one that looked like it went through hell and the nicest one all the way up to $450 I believe. Mitchells all day for $450-$500+. On par, RC's were averaging $400+.

I was ready to leave when I went back to Mizisin Shooting Supply to take a look at some Mosin Nagant's when I saw a K98. Thirty minutes later after a very detailed inspection, I selected a CE 44 for $300. Laminated stock, cupped, all milled parts with a prestine bore. Once I took the russian black paint off, the bluing is 98% with virtually no pitting. Of course there were no captured screws or cleaning rod. As a side note, Dennis Mizisin is a good guy to deal with.

Here's the funny thing, 90% of the RC's had the same instruction tag from a well known dealer in RC's which they are selling for $220 with no had pick fee, shipping cost, or FFL transfer fee cost. When you add in the fact that I would have paid for these items and got to see the rifle in person I was happy.

So in short, what are your opinions on the going prices of RC K98's. Is a $400-$500 RC K98 price justified? Is this the wave of the future?

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Were these things actually being bought by anybody?
Prices at gunshows usually get pretty inflated for some reason.
I think some dealers only go to shows for the hell of it.
They always have the same overpriced stuff whenever you see them.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
There are always a lot of amazingly overpriced guns at shows. Sometimes, there are guns at reasonable prices, and occasionally, you even find a bargain. This applies to all guns, not just RC's.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At gunshows the prices are always high from my experience. I figured they have to bring their trailers...load them...unload...pay table rent...hang out the whole day...buy lunch...buy dinner...buy gas...load em up again for the next day...unload the next day...etc etc...then they have to travel to the next gunshow across state lines. By the end of the day selling an average RC for $300 isn't enough to cover overhead cost and make a profit. To make a profit of $500 just selling RC K98s they probably would have to sell 6 or 7 RCs for $350. Selling 7 RC k98s in a row over two days is kinda tough considering the kinds of RCs left on the market. Check this. I saw an S/243 1938 being sold in the last Vegas gunshow for $500!!! That's $500 US dollaz man! It didn't even have the proper stock for it to be period correkt. Laminate stock with cupped buttplate on an S/243? Russkie shellac and black paint slathered on the disks and metal parts.

Last month I was able to get an S/243 with all intact Swastikas and Weimar proofings. All WaA intact. Walnut stock with clear Weimar markings and flat buttplate. Buttplate WaA and SN match the original SN (SN on the underside stock between pistol grip and disks NOT the horizontal Russkie SN!!) and WaA on the stock. I was able to pick up this RC at my neighborhood gunshop for only $295!! I don't know about you but $295 is nowhere close to $500. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
------------------
I have been looking at k98 prices at various web sites (AuctionArms, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica) over the past few months. I was really surprised to see what the general prices are going for. Very average RC K98's for $400+.
------------------

Sounds like the auction sites have some pretty hefty prices also. Sold a 42 1940 in very nice conditon a couple months ago for just over $200.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For what its worth, RC's in Canada averaged around $400 when they showed up. They haven't dried up yet, but when they do I'm sure prices will start to go up.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I picked up a 1937 dated S/147 RC K98 today with a real nice flat buttplate WaA26 laminated stock at a Virginia show. Nice bore and metal overall with both Weimer and Nazi birds on the reciever and barrel.

I wanted a transitional dated K98 with a good stock and that one just "spoke to me". I may have slightly over paid but I was able to inspect the weapon for bore condition and lug set back before I bought it. Was it a "deal"? No probally not, but I don't think it was too overpriced either. It was probally about $50.00 too much but in this case I could not let $50.00 get in the way either.

Sometimes you just have to look past the price to get what you want if you can swing it. Most folks new to K98s would not know that 1937 was a transitional year when K98s were stamped with both Weimer and Nazi proofs. This K98 was exactly what I was looking for in a RC K98 so I jumped on it. BTW it was my first RC. My other K98s are "bring backs" and Yugo captures with a Czech rework thrown in.

The dealer wanted $350.00 for it and we settled on $300.00. I was satisified and the weapon cleaned up real nice so to me it was worth what I paid. Price does not always equal satisfaction. I did not see any RC K98s under $325.00 asking price at the show. I saw about 20+ of them at different tables.

When I go to a show I expect prices to be higher than I can get with my C&R but the trade off is that I am the one doing the hand picking.

·
Registered
678 Posts
IMHO, I think that $250-375 is a good price for an RC as long as it is a nice one. I would however, go as high as $450 IF, and only if I found one with legit SS/MO markings AND a rarer code like 660 or BSW. The most I have ever paid for an RC is 350. It is a 1936 S-42 code with a very tight and shiny bore (and yes, I've had a gunsmith check all that finer detailed stuff), and a walnut stock. What sucks is that by the time I hit 30 (I will be 21 on 11/21), given all these idiots out there RC prices will be up to $700+. Although, then again, since I do have 4 RCs, maybe then I could sell those off to an idiot willing to pay that much and get my dream K98- Matching 660 or Matching BSW.

Side note: I wonder what prices will do if they ever decide to import the RC G/K 43, Stgs, and other German guns that Stalin had refurbished and placed in storage. Then again, I think my chances are better of finding a chrome honor guard k98:D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Side note: I wonder what prices will do if they ever decide to import the RC G/K 43, Stgs, and other German guns that Stalin had refurbished and placed in storage. Then again, I think my chances are better of finding a chrome honor guard k98:D
I believe an attempt was made to import these by one or several firms, but Ivan's prices were going to be insane.:eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got a couple beauties for $239 hand picked

by InterOrdance in 8/2006 and the price trend is up everywhere it seems. Gun show specimens are not as nice and pricey, but you do get to pick your own. Sometimes one finds what one wants at a show and like Stonewall indicates you just have to pay it to get it. I've made a few purchases at shows and negotiate a satisfactory deal, but not as good as ordering with my C&R. I have been pleased with purchases from distributors. Picked up a couple of milsurps deals on auctions that were not getting a lot of attention.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't think it is the government, but being able to make money off of it. From what I remember Dennis from Empire Arms said that you had to buy in bulk and take what you got at a price that just wasn't good enough to make money.

So it was too high a price and not being able to insure a good product. Not any governments. Going from memory, but that sounds right.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. Would have been nice to try and get one of those. I know it would have been cheaper then any G43 out there...lol
Mike

·
Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. Would have been nice to try and get one of those. I know it would have been cheaper then any G43 out there...lol
Mike

I think the problem was that they would have NOT been any cheaper than a current low end G43 ($2000) after shipping, import duties, culling the crappy ones and adding some profit.

tim

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
67,642 Posts
If there are that many of them maybe a few will be parted out. Spare parts now are out of shight. So I hestitate to use my shooter for fear that something will break.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts