1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,611 Posts
DDR means Deutsche Demokratische Republik, the extinct East Germany-

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess in certain circles it could mean doesn't deserve response...but I assume since people are here to learn...this isn't the answer he was looking for.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In Retrospect

Anyone born in the 1980's would most likely not be aware of the DDR... Those born prior to that with an interest in current events, history, news, or sports (who could forget all those steroid pumped/doped East German Olympians hauling in medals at each Olympiad?), would be aware of East Germany...

My 1st encounter with the DDR on a military level was an ARCO pocket hardcover on the Soviet military I bought in the mid 70's I think...among the Russians, Poles and Czechs, it had a number of pics of NVA soldaten in rain-pattern camo... I thought this is a neat camo pattern

Fast forward 10plus years, In the early 90's I was in a Rome flea market and I saw a stack of rain-camo zelts.. . light bulb went off... "Hey this is East German"... so I bought a couple... and many dollars / Euros later... I still am addicted... I need my smack

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
my first look at east german gak troops was thru a pair of binos,my company was on a border tour and we were billeted in coburg germany,we patrolled our side and they shadowed our every move,was interesting to say the least..

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The Wall and all...

I remember when the Berlin Wall went up. That was a major focal point in the Cold War. Every so often there would be attempts at escape that would make the news. Later, in the 80's did OFORS with the Tenn. N.G. and ROTC groups. We did mainly Soviet WP and I got interested in Soviet and WP gear/clothing. The Guard managed to get some clothing taken off NVA defectors. I recall one tunic with a hole in it, either from a bullet or barbed-wire. When the Wall came down and the Soviet Union imploded, East German stuff started appearing surplus stores at dirt cheap prices, so I started collecting. I had a number of things I sold off over the years, mainly duplicate items. I'd end up finding other things, though. As some of the other Warsaw Pact items appeared I'd sometimes get these, like a Polish clone of a Soviet Flare Pistol, or my latest binge with a Polish military pellet pistol and a Romanian AK kit that I'm turning into a dummy display piece. I've picked up some Soviet items as well, but mostly it's East German. They copied a number of old WWII patterns for clothing and gear. The quality was FAR superior to Soviet made items. As a matter of fact, so is almost anything from the East European WP armies.
Before there was Bin Ladin & Co., the Cold War was the REAL focus of world events. You'd have had to live through it for several decades to understand.
The Arab terrorists are penny ante in comparison to potential nuclear strikes all over.

·
Registered
132 Posts
win, place, and show....

My experience with East Bloc military clothing has been that the NVA had the best gear. Czech and Polish not too bad, but the quality difference is noticeble. Soviet stuff is manufactured to the lowest standard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My experience with East Bloc military clothing has been that the NVA had the best gear. Czech and Polish not too bad, but the quality difference is noticeble. Soviet stuff is manufactured to the lowest standard.
Well, er when you have to outfit an army with the largest population in the WP, whaddya expect? Soviet fabric is nice (All NATURAL materials, unlike dederon) but the seams are pretty crappy... DDR stuff is really stiff and warm, nevertheless I only cant wear it for 2 months of the year (summer) Plus, I fell that DDR gesellschaftsjackes have a really nice cut...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
AK 47 via WP

Well, er when you have to outfit an army with the largest population in the WP, whaddya expect? Soviet fabric is nice (All NATURAL materials, unlike dederon) but the seams are pretty crappy... DDR stuff is really stiff and warm, nevertheless I only cant wear it for 2 months of the year (summer) Plus, I fell that DDR gesellschaftsjackes have a really nice cut...

Somehow my bank screwed up my check card account and I had to go back, straighten things out with the bank and Cope's Dist. and S.G. over the Ak stuff I ordered. grr.:mad: At any rate, it's in the pipeline now. I got one of their bottom of the line parts kits for around $105 and will see what comes. I've wanted something like this to display with my WP/DDR stuff. Yeah, I could have ordered a real one for several times the price, but just wanted a display piece [which could be upgraded later]. Anyone who ordered the Polish Pellet pistols; how long did it take to arrive in the U.S.?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts