Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been much interested in either the AK or AR platform rifles, have been more into M1 carbines and Garands in military type rifles. But recently have started getting a bit of a bug. Been doing some reading and am wondering what the concensus is on a good place to start dipping ones toes into the AK pool? Would like it to be a mid range defend the homestead type. Would like ot keep it fairly reasonable until/when I figure out if I catch the bug.

Caliber pros and cons also if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the information so far. Are there pictures of properly assembled bolt and gas blocks compared to inproperly assembled ones for one to look at and study so they know what they are looking for? If so, where might they be located please?

· Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi SL! You just have to eyeball them. Hold the rifle out in front of you and look down the centerline to see if the front sight base or gas block is canted.

I would echo what others have said about the Romanians being a good starter. Is there a Dunham's Sports near you? They usually have some in stock that you can eyeball.

Also check out the gun shows, pawn shops too. You never know what you might find.

Dunhams? Yeah I there is one in a nearby city, thanks will check them out. Never been in it because it is in a mall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.