Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what is up with PSL rifles . I have heard shoot light ball only , Brass only, Steel only ,reloads only and surplus only . but what I haven't heard is WHY !!! WHAT HAPPENS ??? What is the weak link ? I am not looking for guesses I am looking for first hand experience from someone THAT HAS ACTUALLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEIR PSL !

And what forum do PSL posts go in ? AK or Sniper ?

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
I am trying to figure out what is up with PSL rifles . I have heard shoot light ball only , Brass only, Steel only ,reloads only and surplus only . but what I haven't heard is WHY !!! WHAT HAPPENS ??? What is the weak link ? I am not looking for guesses I am looking for first hand experience from someone THAT HAS ACTUALLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEIR PSL !

And what forum do PSL posts go in ? AK or Sniper ?
I speak from personal experience after two issues (so far!) with my FPK/PSL. Ammo in both events was milsurp LB. First problem: shooting 5 shot strings - slow fire...on round 14 had a big puff of blue smoke...fired case was firmly stuck in chamber with bolt carrier completely locked just out of battery...required repair trip to TGI (Mandy said it's not a question of if but when you get a stuck case in your PSL...we get'em all the time...use only steel cased ammo in your PSL she says) Second problem: same scenario...5 shot strings- slow fire...another puff of smoke...this time the firing pin was peened at both ends, effectively locking the fp in the bolt channel...I fixed this myself...IMO certain lots of milsurp ammo have dramatic pressure spikes the PSL can't handle (witness the IO warning about ammo) I'm shooting my FPK today and have two mags loaded with pulled down ammo...old cases reloaded with the same bullet over a mid-range Varget charge...I feel like I have to baby this rifle for my own safety...If I have one more issue with this gun it's gone...my personal experience with this rifle...Hope this was helpful to you. Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help I have only shot mine 21 times and am in the midst of stocking up on ammo but with all the confusion over this gun I am not sure what route to go with . For now I'll keep shooting my hand loads as the brass looks fine after it has Benn shot .

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought my PSL a while back. Only had it out once. Went through about 20 rounds sighting in and the rest of a 440 round can blasting away at things from 25 feet to 500 yards - was an awsome time. These were Hungarian Heavy Ball by the way OOPS!!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I've used Czech silvertip in my Romak all these years with no trouble, as well as a few boxes of Wolf light ball for hog hunting.

Only problem occured was using Albanian light ball, due to the shape of its rim.

One of the finest combat firearms, the M1 Garand, is very selective about its ammo and will suffer catastrophic failure if incorrect ammo is used.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Thanks for the help I have only shot mine 21 times and am in the midst of stocking up on ammo but with all the confusion over this gun I am not sure what route to go with . For now I'll keep shooting my hand loads as the brass looks fine after it has Benn shot .
You're welcome! Handloads and light ball milsurp should be fine for your PSL. Just returned from the range and had a friend shoot my FPK with my Varget reloads...he loved it! I've been cleaning the chamber after a few strings. I always clean the rifle after each session at the range before I leave for home. I'm hoping I won't have any more ammo related problems with my FPK. It really is fun to shoot.

·
Registered
614 Posts
After I got to take a peek of what a heavy load did to a 4K SVD, "Because The
Ammo Was Cheap" now the SVD is worth a lot cheaper!. I have always used
Light Ball in my SVT's, SVD's and PSL's and I will not use any thing else!!
Cheers
Doc

·
Registered
22 Posts
My PSL failed when a bulgarian HB yellow tip got mixed in with the Czeck silver tip light ball.
( My daughter was loading mags and found it in the bottom of my ammo box) Anyway the firing pin pierced the primer. That forced the firing pin out of the bolt shearing the retaining pin and bending the firing pin in a half-moon shape. Have been unable to locate/buy a replacement firing pin. Finally had some time to work on it and made a titanium firing pin for it. Took it out last weekend. Shot about 200 rounds of the czeck silver tip through it without a hickup. Still want to replace with OEM parts, but this will work for now.

Stay with steel case light ball ammo. Czeck silver tip seems to be the best in my experience both in accuracy and reliability.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have owned my current PSL (Tenn Guns) for a couple of years, now. I have fired in excess of 5 spam cans of mil-surp ammo thru it. I have used Hung LPS-z, Polish LB, Czech LB, Albanian LB, Wolf 203 gn hunting ammo, Chinese LB, Russian 7N1, Chinese "Sniper ammo" (given to me by a friend at the range) and have never had a malfunction. My shootin' buddy as had one almost as long, and has shot nearly as much thru his as has mine. Again, not a hiccup.

I have fired some other rounds (can't remember them right now, as they were in very small lots) and the only problems that I have seen are with the Albanian which splits at the neck, almost every shot. They also do this in my Mosins. I won't use it, any longer. We have 14 cases of Russian LB, at the shop, and I will be getting a few cases of this after I try it out. I am at a total loss when I read of all this trouble from PSL's and SVD's. I have never seen problem. All 5 of my mags load reliably. The rifle has never shown a fault. I clean it at home (not the range) and even 3-4 days after firing, but I spary windex down the barrel while it's still hot from firing, uaually. I have never seen rust in the bore and "assumed" a chromed bore because of that.

I really hope that you guys can get these probelms worked out, and that I never see any of them. I really enjoy mine, and the local deer truly regret this thing being in my hands.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also have had no problems with my rifle (TNguns)-except a couple of FTF with polish Lps but it`s not very accurate in my rifle so no big issue there I have not fired anything over 150 grains, I`m not a gunsmith or ballistics expert so I cannot say exactly why it`s a no-no to shoot heavy ball but I have avoided doing so. I`m just going to keep shooting light ball and not take a chance on damaging a nice rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts