Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I believe the technical term is "KABOOM"...

Hope the fella still has two eyes and ten fingers....

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wow, that was ugly. Sure would be nice to know what kind of ammunition caused it. Bad milsurp, good milsurp, reloads, commercial, etc.

·
Registered
320 Posts
OUCH! That much damage suggests to me that the bore was blocked and all of the force vented into the receiver ring.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm betting on Indian 7.62 ammo...
Sure wouldn't have been the first nice gun ruined by that crap.

·
Administrator
19,256 Posts
Looks like a serious Oops that what happened-and maybe some blood splatter.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
20 years from now it will be listed as a "battlefield pickup with blood pitting" and go for about $4500.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hahaha ... or next month ... ;)

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I think the propper term is "Kablammo"!

·
Gold Bullet member
170 Posts
Damn...That's too bad.....I needed an extractor for a FR7....
$89.00 for the wood?
Whoops...Just noticed the stock is shattered...
Maybe a good top handguard?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hard to believe it was merely bad ammo. I'd think with the proliferation of model 1916s converted to 7.62 NATO in the US, we'd be seeing more of this if the ammo were to blame.

I'd guess a squib round followed by a good one. Bullet stuck in barrel.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hard to believe it was merely bad ammo. I'd think with the proliferation of model 1916s converted to 7.62 NATO in the US, we'd be seeing more of this if the ammo were to blame.

I'd guess a squib round followed by a good one. Bullet stuck in barrel.
I agree

·
Registered
10 Posts
Holy cow is what this was called on surplusrifleforum

I did get info from the seller here is what he had to say
" Hello Guy

Yepper, know exactly what happened. One of our customers came in with it. He was shooting reloads in it by someone else and unsure of what they were loaded with. He had fired several and all was ok. Then on that one bang it came apart. It bruised his hand as he was on one knee shooting and had his hand where it busted. Other than that he just had to change his shorts so to speak. Now whether it was the wrong powder, double charged or what dont know as the ammo was given to him. Upon further reading about them the receivers were kinda weak on them and not recommended to shoot any type of reloads or hot ammo, But that is the story on it and the shooter he is fine and betcha that he does not shoot anything but factory ammo now."

It went bang for sure. Has a case stuck in the chamber i did get the bolt out. barrel looks ok I just need to get the case out.

Still planning to do something with it. 2008 was not my year so 2009 is going to be better.Has not started that way but we have a long way to go. Here is the topic http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41787&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
The best local surplus shop in the area warned me not to buy one of their nice FR-7's as they personally agreed the small-ring mauser was not worth the risk of shooting 7.62x51 and definitely not .308. That was, what, 15 years ago and that was how I went home with an ugly(er) FR-8, chipped grip swell and all...

"Small ring = big surprise."

Alden

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
The pic was removed, but there was a article on FR7's a long time ago.
The problem was not the ammunition but rather the conversion to .308.
The method used was certainly odd. The rifle was not rechambered, but rather the original chamber was bored out and a .308 chambered sleeve was installed.
This resulted in gas cutting at the front of the sleeve where the barrel was quite thin, eventualy ending in failure.
Now the original ammunition used in these rifles was NOT nato spec but raher a down loaded round.
The FR8 doesn't have that problem

·
Registered
115 Posts
You saying the FR7 and FR8 barrels are different? If they're the same they'll have the same chamber. I thought these were specifically made in 7.62mm NATO.

-- Chuck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts