Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in a local gun store today a mauser action but the rest of the gun said Finnish. the front sight looks almost identical to the M39's and the butt stock has the typical Finnish carved out groove with the metal piece over it. only saw a serial number an an illegible word/marking on top of the receiver.

Googiling around i cant seem to find anything like it...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts
unortunately we would need WAY more specific information than that...or photos...to help you...

·
Registered
712 Posts
A long shot but maybe a KAR 98az as 8000 was bought from France in the 1920's to equip the Finnish cavalry. Before the Model 1927rv become standard issue in the early 1930's.

But yes without more info we are just stumbling around in the dark here

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i figured that...ill try my best:

it looked almost like a k98 (same butt plate, front barrel band, cleaning rod, bolt, floor plate) but the front sight was identical to a Finnish M39 and the only rear sling was the typical finnish style. (didnt have any through holes like the german sling mounts or the metal disc with a hole in it in the stock either)

the top hand guard looked yugoslavian tho...

i know all this is pretty hard without pics but maybe you guys would know what other countries used the finnish style rear sling mount

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
looked up pics of the KAR. looks very similar but the buttstock and this has no stacking hook. front and rear sight does look exactly like the kar. im wondering if this is some kinda cobbled together thing. saw ni import marks and it all seems aged the same (wood is not shiney, smooth and dull) barrel bands have the same patena as the rest of it so i dont know. guy claimed it was a post war german mauser with the markings scrubbed off...

are these things collectable or anything? $225 hes asking probably get for $200

do you know if the 8000 the fins bought did they do anything to them? like sling wise and scrub off the french markings? Any more info on those or is it unknown?

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Sounds weird, go back and take a pic and post it here.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ill try but cant promise nothing. it does have a few dings and chips (one being right behind the rear tang in the stock) and i think the upper hand guard wood is a tad warped but other than that seems pretty good. very small rust specs on the outside of the barrel. crown looked good, action worked smooth, no rust in the chamber. felt like it has been coated in oil or something. kinda gummy feeling but easily cleanable

im afraid to keep going back and asking to see it haha i dont want him to get suspicious of me knowing or learning something he doesnt know.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Sounds weird, go back and take a pic and post it here.
I do know that the Finnish Army did have some 98 Mausers.......not a lot, but some.

Look at it this way....there were Germans "up there". You can be sure that not all the rifles went back (to Germany). Then also, there was the German version of "lend lease".

If I get a chance (soon) I will dig out Sotilaskasiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988, to see what "they" say.
Basically, it's all the Finnish arms that were used (3 volume set)......But, It's in Finnish, so, it will take time to translate......

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
The number or K98 that remained in Finland was only handfuls and those were turned over to the Russians. The Kar98A's were used in the 1930's as cavalry rifles then sold off to Poland when the decision was made to use 91's and 27 RV's.

·
Site Contributor
1,260 Posts
Well, Finnish military had quite a variety of rifles with Mauser action, these included:
- Swedish M/96 infantry rifle: Some 1,360 cumulated in 1918 transferred to Civil Guard in 1919. 77,000 bought from Sweden during Winter War (10/1939 - 3/1940), another 8,000 arrived with Swedish volunteers. 15,000 rifles returned to Sweden in 1940. These were used also in Continuation War (6/1941 - 9/1944). The most common Mauser rifle in Finnish military use ever.
- Swedish M/94-14 carbine: About 900 that arrived with Swedish volunteers during Winter War (1939 - 1940) saw little further use in Continuation War (6/1941 - 9/1944) remained in Finland until 1950's.
- German M/98 infantry rifle: Never officially used by Finnish military, but fair number cumulated to inventory in 1918. They were gives to Civil Guard among other mixed rifles. Remaining 934 that Civil Guard had used were sold to Poland year 1924. Later additional 400 rifles or so were gathered from various non-military authorities and got sold in late 1920's - early 1930's.
- German carbine M/98a (also known as m/98 AZ): Few hundered left behind by German Ostsee Division in 1918. Additional 8,000 bought from France in 1919. Remaining 5,240 sold to Poland year 1924.
- German carbine M/98k: 600 rifles equipped with rifle-granade equipment bought from Germany in 1943 - 1944. Only first batch of 100 rifles saw action with another batch of 500 arriving too late for combat use. These were acquired because of rifle grenade systems. Scrapped year 1945.
- Mausers in "rifle, mixed" inventory (in inventory, but not used, no intentional acquisitions, but rifles coming from variety of sources):
-- German Mauser M/1871
-- German Mauser M/1971-74
-- German Mauser M/1888
-- Mauser M/24 of Lithunian origin (captured from the Soviets).
-- Czech Mauser vz. 24 (captured from the Soviets).
-- German G 33/40 (only few)
- Experimental rifles (kokeilukivääri), basically these were rifles acquired for competition use in 1920's and 1930's. They were not official part of Finnish military weaponry. They all used Mauser 98 action and included:
-- SAL M/28, built by A. Francotte in Liege, caliber 7 x 57, looks a lot like Mauser 98 infantry rifle, either original sights or diopter sights.
-- SAL M/30, built by A. Francotte in Liege, caliber 7.62 x 53R, looks a lot like Mauser 98 infantry rifle, either original sights or diopter sights.
-- Experimental rifle M/34: Built by Tikkakoski, Mauser 98 action, caliber 7.62 x 53R, new shorter stock, diopter sights, removable magazine which is basically shortened version of Lahti-Saloranta magazine.

IMO none of these rifles resemble rifle M/39. Carbine model 98a had somewhat similar protective "ears" in both sides of front sight post, but otherwise its front sight is quite different and the rifle stock is rather typically German without real Finnish features. So, could be some sort of mix-up or mis-identification. Some pics: http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/mod98aen.html

Jarkko

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
Sounds like you may have found a Polish Wz. 29 Mauser. It has protective ears on the front sight and a side sling attachment in the buttstock, which are somewhat similar to the Finnish Mosins. But despite the handful of superficially similar features, they were not used by Finland.

Polish Wz. 29:

Finnish M39:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pics galore! guy was more than happy to let me take pics.

butt stock isnt a rectangle, normal mauser shape^^^ pic makes it look weird...

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
That's a Spanish Air Force M44 Mauser. They were rebuilt from Polish Wz. 29 rifles that were sent to the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War. No connection to Finland whatsoever.

The Air Force crest looks like it was partially ground (or perhaps just worn off). Here is what the crest originally looked like:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
Spanish Air Force 1944 Mauser, I think.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool yea was wondering what the mark was, so whats this thing worth? Spanish stuff really isnt one of my main collecting things i look out for but if its a steal i may get it and trade it later or somehting. (ive already got a german k98 so i know how the mauser shoots)

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
cool yea was wondering what the mark was, so whats this thing worth? Spanish stuff really isnt one of my main collecting things i look out for but if its a steal i may get it and trade it later or somehting. (ive already got a german k98 so i know how the mauser shoots)
$250... maybe $300. The condition is rough and the crest is worn, so the price took a ding on that factor. Not a common rifle at all, and a whole lot of history in it (well... SOME history, given that the Spanish air force really wasn't that large during WWII, and as far as I know, only saw combat under Army Group Center as a volunteer unit ["Blue Squadron"])

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea i may pass on it. hes asking 225 could maybe get for 200.

thank you all so much for helping me! the internet out there was absolutely no help haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts