Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
First Enfield

Back about 1971 or so there was a WW1 movie in theaters named "Zepplin". In it a British Sergeant demonstrates an incendiary round by holding up and describing a Lee-Enfield MkIII and procedes to fire one shot at a hydrogen filled balloon demonstrating that they would be using this against the Zeppelin threat. Well, my Dad, a U.S. Air Forces veteran from WW2 thought of this when he saw a beat up Enfield in a local gun shop. For $40 he got a 1918 Enfield MkIII*that had a beat up stock. He lovingly refinished the stock and enjoyed shooting it with surplus stuff we picked up at misc. gun and surplus stores. Within a few years we had a No.MkIII, three No.MkIII*'s and a Long Branch No.4 MkI*. We belonged to a small gun club that had military rifle shoots and it wasn't long before we switched to .30-06's for the matches but the Enfields were fun and had character. They certainly had more markings than U.S. firearms! All those inspectors marks! I have a BSA 1916 MkIII* with a crisp "Oster Gendarmarie" stamp and 15 different British inspectors stamps on the barrel! I have never seen two No.I's alike. Each has its own personality.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.