Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider a SHTF situation to be?

I think it would be any happenstance that would

threaten dire consequences to you and/or yours.

F'rinstance , a break in at your home , definitely

a SHTF situation.

The disturbing losses in the stockmarket is a SHTF

situation IMHO. ( I lost several sizeable chunks of

doss in the last year and a half ) I could have

purchased supplies with my losses.

SHTF situations are many and varied it seems.

Chime in lads and lasses the comparisons might

help us all.

FIVESHOT

we ARE going to run out of food
we ARE going to run out of water
we ARE going to run out of ammunition

·
Registered
673 Posts
Possible SHTF scenarios from nature:

A giant solar flare from the sun that knocks out the grid of communication satellites, neuters telecommunications in general, and cripples the electrical power grid. Basically putting society back to the 19th century.

The majority of Americans would have problems, or even be powerless, to function in such a scenario. When food and fuel shortages start cropping up, then things would get REALLY ugly.

Regional SHTF scenarios: Hurricane ravaged areas such as what Louisiana suffered from Hurricane Katrina. Or a massive earthquake in an urban/metro area.

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
Long term loss of utilities
Long term loss of financial security
Long term loss of security/law&order
Long term loss of food or shelter

What causes these types of situations can vary, but they are the basic underlying problems. And long term may truly mean, forever ...

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
LewR

lets explore that a bit . wouldnt you consider someone

trying to kill you , even for a short time , to be a SHTF

situation ?

FIVESHOT
No - that's just a dead intruder!! :)

Sure - any change of our normal life could be considered a SHTF episode like a house fire, snow load roof collapse or natural gas explosion in your home - I just see long term issues as being the ones we discuss more when the term is used.

·
Silver Bullet Member
12,176 Posts
The problem is the bad guys always seem to have the initiative. The best thing we can do is be aware of when the S is ABOUT to hit the F and get into a survival mindset. My idea of a survival mindset is the ability to thrive in the midst of other peoples panic. (funny how panic only hits the unprepared)

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
The best thing we can do is be aware of when the S is ABOUT to hit the F and get into a survival mindset. My idea of a survival mindset is the ability to thrive in the midst of other peoples panic. (funny how panic only hits the unprepared)
Well said Super B. I consider the SHTF as something bigger than just my household. It's something that affects us locally, but is, hopefully, recoverable. Hurricanes, earthquakes, firestorms, blizzards causing long term power outages, an oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico that destroys the livelihood of thousands of people are examples. It is the SHTF because so many are not prepared, but those who are prepared suffer little and with intervention and assistance coming in from unaffected areas things are soon back to normal (relatively speaking). The next step up is TEOTWAWKI which effects everyone and is not recoverable in the short term.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ALAN K

SHTF situations are many and varied IMHO

f'rinstance , if you are the bread winner of

your family and something happens that causes

an inability to continue that important service

you provide , then that is a SHTF occurrence for

you and your family.

Then on the other hand , as you described

catastrophic foul weather , forest fires , etc

are also said situations on a much larger scale.

Super B

The bad guys generally do have the initiative

because they are generally desperate and in need

of drugs , cigarettes , beer , loose change , etc

and they almost always ambush their prey , whom

being abiding folks dont expect such behavior from

their fellow man , experience is a harsh instructor

my point is , SHTF happens on myriad levels to all

of us. even the bad guys

FIVESHOT

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Any event, be it natural disaster or man made/caused, which overwhelms and outstrips organized societies (sic Gubmt) ability to respond in a timely manner and ensure/provide basic necessities of food, water, shelter and security (law and order).

We live seventy-two hours from total anarchy ...
Basic tenant of Emergency Management is, you are on your own for 72 hrs until sufficient resources are mobilized and start moving into place.
If that system fails for longer periods, food runs out, water runs out, panic, rioting, and looting breaks out. Once the fires are lit, the dominoes begin to fall in a cascade which multiplies faster than resources can be moved and applied to manage. Once the event and consequences begin to spread out from their point of origination, it becomes a fast moving and lethal infection with doubtful hope of containment.
Once need and demand outstrip resources, it's SHTF!

TEOTWAWKI is when SHTF done happened and help ain't coming!

·
Registered
84 Posts
No AC? hell I dont even have AC...

Seriously though- the primary needs of the human body are Air, Water, Food. Human bodies function on the rule of 2's- Given two minutes without air, two days without water, two weeks without food most people will die. So the first three things you need to have on hand for a SHTF scenario are (potable) water and food- if you dont have air when the SHTF, God help you. Access to a means of water varies depending on your location. If you live on a well, do you have some form of back up pump for when the power fails? Do you have some form of mechanical pump for when the gas runs out? I keep a water fliter (ceramic) in my camping bag- which is one of the things I take with me if I have to flee. It can filter enough water to drink for two years for three people.

Next comes food- I dont keep mormon-like supplies around, but I always have some bags of dried beens, salt (you need that too) canned goods etc. I figure about two weeks worth. If the SHTF longer than that I will have to scavenge I guess but having cleaned out some of my families packrat dens I am loath to keep more than that.

Next comes shelter- so in your SHTF scenario do you stay or run? Can you sleep in your car comfortably? Can you seal up your house if you stay? Do you have a way of cooking the food you have? (I keep a small camp stove with a gallon of gas in my camp bag.) heating/cooling your shelter? In Oregon (westside) it rarely gets super cold, and a well dressed human can be comfortable in a house down to 40DF, but still having a wood stove or some form of heat would be nice. When I live in VT I always had a wood stove because the power could go out anytime for two - three days. In the South I would guess you would just have to open your windows and stay cool during the summer and be glad you aren't in Michigan or Minnesota come January.

After all that comes protecting what you have (ie guns)... because if you dont have the water/food/shelter/ thing figured out you will end up as one of the scavengers trying to take someone elses food/water/shelter.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Disenfranchisement by the government over political view or constitutional rights would be a SHTF situation for me. I'm already accused by our government of being a right wing extremist and a domestic terrorist because I voted Libertarian and belong to the NRA. Having the government declare conservative gun owners to be non-persons or enemies of the state would produce a fight or die situation in this country. A SHTF situation already exists south of here along the border where U.S. citizens are being murdered and ranches are being robbed. Mexican regular troops have even been spotted north of the border. That should constitute an invasion or at the least warrant an apology. With some states already infiltrated by over a million foreign nationals each, a SHTF situation might not be too far away.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,178 Posts
good bad ugly show their true colors.

NO ONE TO HELP YOU?:confused: police, military, state or local medical, or even 911, communication- late spotty and unreliable.
everybody is taking care of themselves and their own property, families, even the local authorities.:sorry:don't call use well call on you.
the good people are freaking out looking for help, gov. resources? the checks not in the old mail box?:?
the bad minded are prying on everyone and taking everything at will. they love anarchy.:tisk:
the ugly is trying to come to board members property to take your family's needed stores.
<><dk

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
Some are actually funny !!! I think I love the alien conquest the best (meaning space aliens, not those south of the border...) :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.