Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shop for milsurps as most do.Gun shows,Gun shops, Pawn shops ect.The one
rifle I see in just about everyone is the M1 Garand.

The Tulsa show the worlds largest was a good example, for there was hardly
a milsurp table with out at least a few.Most went for $800 on up.The funny
thing is I don't see that much sales going on for these great ole guns.

Just about every dealer stands fast on his-her price.There is a gun shop I go in
offen.He has had the same Garand for at least two years priced at $1100.

I offend wonder how dealers can tie up there money in guns they don't sell with
in a certain time frame, & still stay in business.

Just because your in business, does not make you a business man.:?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Hmmmmm......

Lets see I've been collecting Garands for 20-25 years. Supply and demand definitely affect their prices like any other firearm.

Go pick up a 1975-78 Blue book of values. During that period of collecting an M1 was valued nearly as much as a G43s or M1941 Johnsons. Part of that was the one-rifle-in-a-lifetime policy of the then CMP/DCM. There were serious hoops to jump through to get one too back then.

If you look at the increase in values - the Garand has really been a poor choice in comparison to most firearms. $400-$500 for Garand. $600 for G43. $600 for Johnson. $59 for Chinese SKS. $79 Arisakas. etc. to ad nauseum.

However there werte many firearms that got hammered and are worth less now - Makarovs, CZ52 pistols, VZ52 rifles for example.

There are somethings going for the Garand however - the supply of collectible WWII and IHC rifles is gone. They are an excellent rifle - exc shooter, maintainible (parts and smiths avail), and plenty of variations. Plenty of shooting sports available for the owners also. Ammo, while not cheap, is available, usually of excellent quality, generally non-corrosive and re-loadible.

When you own and really shoot one - most people find the alternatives pale in comparison.

The supply is not endless however, and will end one day in the near future. The quality of present Garands at the CMP, in my opinion, is not as good as what it was even 3 years ago either.

The detriments are: it is a dangerous field to enter with a high end pick. One must study them like any other collectible firearm. Know what to look for. For the first time buyer the CMP is definitely the place to buy. Why some people buy run of the mill shooters elsewhere amazes me - not really hard to do.

Dealers with good reps do just fine selling the higher end M1s. Check out Scott Duffs website.

With the economy the way it is now - should not have much trouble trolling gun shows for one on a persons shoulder for $600+. Just got to be aware of shot-out examples, and poorly put-together examples (ie parts swapped by someone who does'nt know what he is doing).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
well, the insane prices are THE thing which has kept me from ordering one. Its rediculous how much they go for. Its one example of how supply and demand has been thrown out of whack. A TON of garands, with a ton of possible buyers.....and insanely high prices. No thanks....I would attempt SOG, but thats too much of a gamble.......

Sorry, but I just do not buy that they are worth what people ask. Also, the coming limited supply of shootable 30.06 for them. I would not be likely to shoot modern commercial out of one......

Just rediculous.....

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
$400 for AK vs $600 for M1. No choice in my mind although I own many of both types. And can pick/buy a rack grade M1 for $400 that will shoot as good as almost any AK.

Which will be worth more in 10 to 20 years also?

Different philosphies, and different uses.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Which would be worth more will depend heavily on POLITICS. But also which one will have more widely available commercial ammo? On top of this, WHICH ONE is less ammo sensitive? THAT might help determine which is more popular. I think the majority of gun owners in America buy a gun to shoot it, not look at. Fact is when the surplus 30.06 dries up, you'd better start reloading. Or MAYBE a manufacturer will crank up some garand safe ammo, but I doubt it will be cheap.

Again, I will pass. I'd love a garand, but they completely screw people on them.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
There are 2 commercial loads for the Garand on the market now. Reloading is not rocket science either.

Your thought goes that surplus ammo will always be available for the AK. How did that work for Lee-Enfields, Swedish Mausers, etc? What is the UN trying to do with this supply?

Also what will be the future collector interest in firearms made with many commercial aftermarket parts?

My "factory" made semi-auto only Finn, Chinese, Hungarian, Egyptian AKs are pretty much safe queeens now as they are worth more than most M1 Garands.

I just dont see Century AKs appreciating any more than the value of replacement.

If all you want to do is blast off a couple of 100 rounds at soda bottles - I would agree with you.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think supply and demand is working as expected, and the Garand prices are a perfect example of this. Less common WWII guns, such as G43s and Tokarevs are priced proportionately higher. Garands will go up in price at some point, but values have remained flat because they seem to keep on filtering back into the country from all over the world. If you have a nice Garand, it makes absolutely no sense to sell one now, so no one is lowering their price. Would you sell your $800 dollar Garand for $600 just to move it....and then in all likelihood need to spend $800 to replace it ? Look at Sks's....not long ago, these were $250 or less, and were abundant....now they appear just so often... at over $300, and usually sell pretty quickly. Try and find a $400 CETME...Garands just aren't moneymakers right now, so I doubt that shops are buying them in any quantity, but they aren't giving them away either....better to sit tight, and ride out the current market glut.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
An M1 is an M1 and nothing else compares! It certainly is, as Patton described it, one of the finest battle implements ever devised. If you are into WWII, you have to own at least one!
Unfortunately, from what I have been hearing, the number of good ones is dwindling and the quality of CMP offerings these days is reportedly going downhill fast.
As almost all are mixmasters, it isn't unreasonable to have an M1 expert fix up or do over a lower quality one and parts still abound as do the number of people who really know what they are doing with them.
I looked for a long time, having no idea what to look for. I just wanted one. I was lucky enough to get a real winner from a guy who collects and loves to fix up some of the lesser grade CMP examples. No magic matching numbers or anything special but my '47 Springfield was apparently tucked away in an armory somewhere and never made it to Korea. It's a tack driver and a real joy to shoot.
NEVER bet against an old vet who knows his Garands! Most of them can pick your teeth with one at long ranges and make windage and elevation adjustments on the fly by pure instinct.
The ammo situation is the big drawback these days and with the surplus in short supply at high prices, the M1 is quite likely to disappear from matches and competitions any time now.
Where they used to be quite prolific on the range, it's almost rare to see anyone shooting one anymore.
Mine hasn't been out of the cabinet in a year as I just can't bear to break open the last spam can of ammo I'm hoarding.
Beware the dealers and the gun shows as, unless you have the knowledge, you really want an expert opinion from someone who really knows them before plunking down that kind of cash.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Go ahead and break open the last can - then order some more from the CMP. Back in stock now, and it is time to buy.

Bought most of my LC ammo for 20 cents a round years back. Had accumulated probably 20K rounds of spent brass over the years, and recently sold off most of the used brass for 10 cents each.

If you want to see some Garands at the range you need to go to one of the CMP Garand matches. Not unusual to see 1000-1200 Garands at Camp Perry being shot. Just wish they had enough shooting lanes to fire all of them at once!

Anyone that fancies themselves a "good shot" has to go to Camp Perry at least once in their life. Its like Mecca for Muslims.

·
Silver Bullet member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know I would love to have a Garand, but as the guy above said I'm not laying down a $1000.
I could own three Finns for that.

Yes $300 is alot for a SKS but there again I could buy three SKS for the price of a Garand.I love every
Milsurp I own.Mosins,Enfields,Finn,now a K31.But we are talking a $1000.And on top of that, look what
the ole Springfield 1911,s are bringing.

Those things were pluged & used in every drill team from high school's to teaching recruits to march.Thats
just CRAZY.I.m sorry but $1000 is a whole lot of money with the way things are right now & I can't see
any relief any time soon.

As for the dealers sitting on them as the gunshop owner I know?Well he has already lost any profit he will
see from that gun.I could have taken the money he has in it & doubled it by now in trading or using that cash
to buy & sell something that moves much faster.

For a collector it a different thing,he's not trying to make a living off his collection if you understand what I'm saying.

The dealer must pay his over head such as paying for space,travel ect.It just does not add up no matter the
spin you try to apply to it.JMOHOP

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Two thing people should note from this thread is that the people who have a Garand say they are worth the money.

Also - the smart owners pay $600 for one from the CMP.

·
Copper Bullet member
471 Posts
I was at tulsa and must say that supply and demand is totally working...example...last year at tulsa my friend sold 6 stock chinese sks's quickly for $350 each...this year there were several stock chinese sks's at tulsa for $250 that did not sell

Saturday no one was motivated...

Sunday was the day to buy milsurps...I got an 180B, enfield and 2 M-91's for very reasonable prices

As far as Garands go...I have always thought is was very interesting back 5 years ago when cmp was selling garands at $300, with an 8 rifle per year limit, people were willing to buy garands at twice that price at the gun shows...go figure

·
Registered
293 Posts
well, the insane prices are THE thing which has kept me from ordering one. Its rediculous how much they go for. Its one example of how supply and demand has been thrown out of whack. A TON of garands, with a ton of possible buyers.....and insanely high prices. No thanks....I would attempt SOG, but thats too much of a gamble.......

Sorry, but I just do not buy that they are worth what people ask. Also, the coming limited supply of shootable 30.06 for them. I would not be likely to shoot modern commercial out of one......

Just rediculous.....
Get a Schuster gas plug and shoot what you want within bullet weight specs. It's easy to meet CMP buying standards, I just did it. Field grades are $500 and Service grades are $600. Hard to beat those prices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.