Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It is a fired 75mm (or 3"). Without being able to examine it closer it's hard to say if it's Army or Navy. Also, the paint on the rotating band and the bourrelet seems to indicate that the yellow may not be original. The original paint color would tell what kind of projectile it was. Generally speaking, Shrapnel projectiles survive in one piece whereas others had an explosive charge which destroyed it. So, if I had to guess without more information to go on, I'd say it's Shrapnel.

But, it definitely is a fired 75mm or 3 inch projectile with a powder-train time fuze.

Ray

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Captn

I'm sure that projectile was painted as a souvenir. Since you can ID it to a particular Camp and outfit it makes a neat collectible. I would leave it just as it is. Since Camp Custer MI is most likely an Infantry or Artillery camp the projectile is most likely Army which would make it a 75MM. (The Navy designation is 3").

Nice find

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.