Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I said in some other discussions, I've been gone from this site about a decade and you all have CLEARLY advanced the knowledge on many of these rifles, so can you tell me what I have here that you notice? What I see is a 1941 Sako with a early (?) straight stock, floorplate is the only other numbered item and it 'matches' no other serial numbers on it in the usual location for Mosin 91/30s including the bolt which does not have a number (and is a old tula bolt).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice looking rifle! Always love the look of the straight stock M39s. Based on what I can see, everything appears correct for a 41 Sako M39 rifle in that approximate serial range (though yours does seem to be right on the tail end of that range). Stock proofs look good, and overall finish is nice consistent wear across all parts. As you noted, the floor plate does not match, which which is very common on finn rifles, but as far as I know those should match on an original Sako. Those were often mixed up in later refurbs and repairs though. You mentioned that the bolt is unnumbered, but I suspect that you might actually find a partial number on top of the round knob of the bolt handle itself. It’s common for the number on the flat to be scrubbed but there should ideally be a few of the last digits of the serial number present on top of the bolt knob. Maybe some others with some more expertise on M39s specifically will chime in soon if more details are noticed. Hope to find such an example as nice as yours someday. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: I’m not sure if I misread your note about the floor plate. If that does actually match, it would be a good sign for overall originality and would indicate your rifle likely saw limited to no refurb. Other parts like the buttplate likely won’t have a number btw.

·
Silver Bullet member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks like you have a very nice early M39 in a straight stock which is fairly uncommon. Have you shot her yet?
No, I went overseas 10 years ago and just visited them recently.....found some things I had forgotten I had.....

and THANK YOU ALL for your kind replies and helping get 'up to speed' on the latest findings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.