Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting into WWII era or earlier Spanish guns (handguns and long guns). I know Spain was not a combatant in WWII and therefore their guns cannot technically be classified as WWII items unless used by another country. Does anyone out there have any recommendations on a 1st starter gun for a Spanish Collection. I have an 03FFL license and have a moderate collection of guns. Price is always an issue, but I would rather have several really good representative pieces than a whole bunch of mediocre ones.

Thanks for any pointers.

Blu Max

·
Silver Bullet member
34,875 Posts
Someone was pointing out that SARCO has Star "Super Modelo A" again
http://www.sarcoinc.com/3-10-10_P page.pdf

In terms of niftiness, I am a big fan of "Tubular" Astras. My personal preference is the Model 600 since it uses 9x19mm and they have an interesting WWII connection.

You probably want to post in the Spanish Pistol Forum, lots of advice to be had there.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,530 Posts
I am thinking of getting into WWII era or earlier Spanish guns (handguns and long guns). I know Spain was not a combatant in WWII and therefore their guns cannot technically be classified as WWII items unless used by another country.
The volunteer "Blue Division" served under the Wehrmacht.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Would agree with Fushigi Ojisan, the Astra 600 is an amazing military handgun, and still affordable. The first 10,500 went directly to the German Army, (if you can find one they are pricey) and the rest went into storage and were later sold (a second time) to the West German gov't. Some one can correct me if I've messed up my facts here.

The earlier Astra 400 is pretty much the same pistol, a tad larger and it uses the longer 9mm Largo cartridge, and if you handload its no big deal...except for collecting spent brass, both the 400 and 600 toss brass a long ways from the shooter...if you are shooting in the field you may need a helper/gatherer standing 30 feet back or a metal detector to find your shot brass.

These guns are extremely tough, my 600 handles +P+ ammo just fine, whereas my young M9 and even my brand new P99 regularly choke on it. Of course, you are advised to use standard loads in all C&R pistols.

It is hard to rack the slide on them since they have a big recoil spring and an extremely stong hammer spring....but all my Astras are 100% reliable.

And they provide hours of shooting pleasure, are accurate too, you can harass beer cans at a 100 yards.

And whats more, the Astra 400 and 600 series are both battle soaked in history (Spanish Civil War, WW2) and are true Spanish designs (not copies of you-know-whos stuff), have that wonderful art-deco look, and are terriffic collectibles for display or happy times at the range.

Good luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, anyone collecting Spanish handguns would probably be well advised to start with an Astra 600. It was the first handgun I ever bought (mint) and I still have it. I also have the second Astra 600 I ever purchased (it's a beater, but tough and still functional). Was seriously tempted by a mint Astra 400 (in the best shape in which I have seen one for sale) at the last local show I attended (already have one though...), but I may go ahead and get it if it's there again this time.

Ask here before you try disassembling an Astra 600 (or 400) the first time though, if you get one. It will save you grief and possibly a dent in the ceiling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you who responded. I think I will take the advice given and look for an Astra 600 or 900. I already have a modest collection of C96 guns so an Astra 900 might be fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts