Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what do you make of this? My M44 has "46" etched into the butt under the buttplate, and the buttplate itself has "46" etched over an also etched "24". I'm looking for you guys' input as to who/what/when/where/why? Thanks!

Green Colorfulness Teal Turquoise Grey
Grey Rust Artifact

·
Administrator
9,547 Posts
Hey guys, what do you make of this? My M44 has "46" etched into the butt under the buttplate, and the buttplate itself has "46" etched over an also etched "24". I'm looking for you guys' input as to who/what/when/where/why? Thanks!

View attachment 541114 View attachment 541115
What are the last 2 digits of the S/N on the barrel?
It (46) may have been done during a repair to keep the same parts on the same rifle.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is serial number 22. All serialed parts are force-stamped-matched minus prefix. I find it interesting that someone etched the 46 over the 24...if only guns could talk, huh?
MT, your idea of keeping the parts together during refurb could make sense, especially if the stock was replaced at some point (shellac and bluing are very flaky, yet bore is beautiful)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.