Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this canteen for a while, its just as I picked it up...I've been trying to decide what to do with it...

I know it may be farfetched, but before I cut anything off, I figured I'd get some opinions...

So, the jute twine (or whatever material it is) "holder" looks Japanesey to me...what are the odds it was a canteen captured and used by the Japanese...it looks like a Japanese skeleton canteen carrier, which is what popped into my head when I saw it. I paid a good price just for the canteen, so its not like someone was asking stupid money for a "Japanese capture canteen"...

So, possibly Japanese, or just done by someone post war to carry it?

The canteen itself is a LF&C 1918....

Like I said, if its possibly a wartime thing, I don't want to cut it off, if not, its a good canteen for a rig, once I get rid of the carrier...

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,356 Posts
Its hard to say for certain without a hands on inspection but the twine looks to be in awfully good condition. If it were truly 70 years old I would expect it to be somewhat frayed, faded, deteriorated, weathered, etc.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of what I thought too, it is very nice for something that would be 70 years old and used in the tropics...

But I have seen more things ruined by unknowing collectors who thought something was "wrong" and fixing it, so I just wanted a sanity check before cutting it off....

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
It's a U.S. WWI canteen. http://www.thechocolate-shop.com/12...aluminum-1918-lfec-canteen-and-ba-co-1918-cup
That's a very "creative" carrying harness for it.

I'm sure you can find a U.S. GI WWI canvas carrying case for it. Maybe even a U.S. GI canteen cup also. (Hint, if you do get the canteen cup also, cut a piece of white sock to fit over the canteen where it goes into the cup. It will save the aluminum from canteen, contaminating the cup. That's what we used to do with ours before they issued plastic canteens.)

Dean (the other one)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Put together by a re-enactor? If so why would they not paint it?

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
I'm gonna go with Jareth. Quite likely Viet Cong. Or Filippino, or...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
IMHO the string is way to fresh to be 60 plus years old. Looks like it was made last week. I do like the work however, as it shows what could be done if need be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts