Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Do I see a SKULL sitting on the engine deck of that Type 95 ?
Yep, good eye!
One photo that got lost while I was in the Navy was a photo of dad standing in the hatch of this tank giving a Nazi salute and that skull is on top of the turret.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Yes, I learned a long time ago that when something comes up for sale that you really want/need, just buy it. I'd sure love to have that Izawa back again, so let me know when you get tired of it. I promise I'll treat it well!

C/
I know you will. Still, it's one of my favorites. Gotta love the S/N and the LMG sling. I once had a T-99 sniper that was S/N 43 and my dad said that had to be the year of mfg. Nope, I wish I still had that!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts
Thank you Richard. Did you by any chance frequent any of the Springfield (MA) shows? Thought I may have run into you there at least once.

C/
Chip:

From the first Big-E show back around 1990 until about ten years ago I never missed a single event. The militaria/gun show each year in May or June was a favorite of mine. I think we might have met at Doss' table which was of course the Japanese collector control center at every show he attended. :)

Lots of good times and lots of good people back in the old days.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
I’ve lost my single direction....
straight razors...90#?, coins....coins gone.
gun books...50’s to current.

now it’s accumulating pistols in 45, 1911’s...
.CZ 75 and high grade clones, mix master of others pistols..
Target/ long distance...slim profile AR’s,
99% condition Husky’s , Carl Gustaf bolt action hunting rifles.
Italian Quality o/u,12’s...#3
3# quality examples German saure auctioned doubles 12’s
one great condition Russian 1937, Bolt...
gem of a Russian sks, Russian AK 308.
Quality target 22 pistols...colts, high standards, barrels, FN...Browning medalist.
69 ssg P2 heavy barrel sniper.308...other heavy barrels varmiters.
much more spread out over hanging times, desires...
iver johnson single barrel champions 12? One double with local history.
sold off all my dozens of colts....5 pythons, viper, anaconda, 44mags. others..

Kept gold cup 70 series fitted / modified by Wilson ...
Kept a few N frame revolvers ...44 sp, 38’s, Smith pre 10, post 10 nickel 1947..
couple mint 38 sw.break tops..nickel SW, HR. Looking for colt, Iver Johnson nickel.

if in a show, now seeing something different, unusual I’ve wanted to experience over the years.. or trade up into for increased value...
or even just getting rid of my rifles going more to pistols that’s easer to carry, sale...
as I get older....

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,290 Posts
Some great stuff on this thread. Dan's display is just jaw dropping and I always like seeing Otter's consecutive Babys (BTW, your ammo box is upside down ;))
Chip, do you own that rifle? I'd swap you back your 4th Izawa for it ;)
It was around 1967 when my dad brought home a T-38 rifle that he bought from a coworker. He paid $20 for it and suggested that I refinish the stock, which did to my eternal regret. The up side to that rifle was that it had a Kokura T-97 sniper bolt in it that I later sold to Harry Derby for $250. Dad did a lot to finance my early collecting years and this photo shows what I had when I went off to the Navy in 1971
Of course most of that stuff is not what I could consider prime collector pieces today. Much was mismatched, etc. While I was in Nuclear Weapons School in Albuquerque, NM (Kirtland AFB) I bought a Nagoya T-99 long rifle for $35 and carried it across my back on my motorcycle trip home on leave after school finished. The weather was perfect until the morning I left and that little hotel on the continental divide is where I spent 3 days snowed in. After that I was able to finish my trip to Riverside, Commiefornia with pretty decent weather. At that time there was an inspection station at the AZ, NM border and they asked if I was taking that rifle to the Black Panthers! I think they were serious!
Back in those days the only reference I had was a reprint of Japanese Infantry Weapons. Then, in 1979, I was in Houston at Collector's Firearms and they had the 1st edition of MROJ. I bought the only copy they had and have been broke ever since and I blame Fred!
Dawgs, tell me that young, handsome, skinny guy aint your stand-in.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
From the first Big-E show back around 1990 until about ten years ago I never missed a single event. The militaria/gun show each year in May or June was a favorite of mine. I think we might have met at Doss' table which was of course the Japanese collector control center at every show he attended. :) Lots of good times and lots of good people back in the old days.
I'll bet our paths have indeed crossed in the past. The last Springfield Show I attended with Doss was back around 2005 or so. He'd rented a conference room at a local hotel and we had a post-show meeting there on Saturday night. Good times. Haven't been to a Springfield Show since we moved down here in 2010.

Once of my favorite shows was the Hartford CT antiques show that's held each fall. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to attend that one since the move either.

C/

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks to all for the great advice and pictures! My original goal was a service rifle and pistol from the main belligerents of WW2 and some from WW1. I find I really like anything after the invention of smokeless powder onwards ( Would still live a Brown Bess). Some countries speak more to me than others. I collect Garands, have a smattering of other WW2 weapons, and have recently really come to appreciate Swiss, Swedish ( yes I like neutral's firearms too) , and Japanese firearms. I like German pistols and eventually on getting a K98 now that they have doubled in price *facepalm*. I was born too late for the glory days of milsurps. Some of my latest purchases were a wonderful G1911 from a forum member here and a Japanese type 38 I posted pictures of on here awhile back. This forum is a wealth of information and I love having people to share this hobby with.

Tom

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
I like all the stuff actually used by the Japanese in the Pacific during the war. This narrows my focus to T-38s and T-99s, and excludes the T-30s and T-35s (although I would love to own a nice T-35) I just need to keep this addiction under control. I don't even collect the Jinsen T-99s because I don't think any of them made it out to the islands. I've been collecting this stuff since the late '60s and my present collection isn't that large but it consists of some very nice examples
Very nice displays, man! Especially the IJA bicycle! Might I suggest displaying the blades edge up on the racks. The would help promote lack of moisture on the ha or kissaki!

I used to have a pretty big collection and most of my nicer pieces were personal finds, including a few of my favorite Nihonto and an FJ and SS Smock (which I hoped solve the truth on rear seam smocks). I switched my focus to German handguns from 1914-1945 and nihonto since I enlisted im 2012. Unfortunately, other from a few tidbits at home, my collection has dwindled to nothing due to debt, bad relationships, and pending divorce, etc. All part of life!

Currently, the few pieces I have consist of a 1937 Walther PP in 9mm Kurz, a Ko-Uda Wakizashi remounted for WWII, an IJN Seiko watch...thats about it now currently, lol.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
Collections change and evolve..
I've seen this in over 40 years of my collecting...
buying at first about any gun to fix up resale, trade...
From hunting, military....to modern guns...
we would get bored....or finish having everything....if we didn’t evolve with our changing tastes.><>< Dan

death ace...you experience can’t be taken away....even-one has relationship interventions ....
they too will be best remember for the good things not the ending regrets....
thank you for your service to our country.><> Dan

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,497 Posts
Hello,

As I'm learning about these rifles ( and looking to acquire some more in the future when I have more knowledge), I'm wondering what everyone else likes to collect? I seem drawn to type 38 full length rifles and type 14 pistols. I do want to get a nice type 99 representative for my World War 2 battle rifle collection. I can see that some arsenals are more rare than others since some made very many vs some that made very few. However, once I see "series" it seems to introduce a lot more nuance. Even within the type 38 I see the rear sight change 3 times. The more I learn, as in most collecting, the more variations I am interested in getting. Past the rarity then I see the variables in condition. So, what do you like to collect and why?
I COLLECT BOOKS, AND THEN THE GUNS. Get all you can from the list of available titles and then really enjoy and learn.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I totally agree. I have 6 books on the Garand alone. I picked up an intro level book on Japanese Rifles of WW2 and was a nice intro, but led to a lot more questions. More books are in my future. My in laws tend to get me Barnes and Noble gift cards for Christmas and birthday so I always get new firearm books through their independent seller marketplace. More books always means more gun variations I want to collect!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I chanced on a T-99 a friend had. Now I have 3 (one with the quirky monopod) and a damaged T-38, but it still has the mum on it. I was very surprised by the shootability of the T-99s. Great rifle for bolt actions. I can hit with it and reloading is easy now that new brass is available.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,497 Posts
I totally agree. I have 6 books on the Garand alone. I picked up an intro level book on Japanese Rifles of WW2 and was a nice intro, but led to a lot more questions. More books are in my future. My in laws tend to get me Barnes and Noble gift cards for Christmas and birthday so I always get new firearm books through their independent seller marketplace. More books always means more gun variations I want to collect!

Get don voights book on the 99. it is 125 and available here under non firearms for sale. It is the 99 bible....

41 - 60 of 67 Posts