Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Due to my country's restrictive gun laws I find myself more interested in militaria than guns these days. I mostly collect navy uniforms and field gear. I have a modest collection consisting of a white IJN sailor uniform, a set of IJN work fatigues, miscellaneous gear and a Type 38.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts
Richard it may just be a glitch, the pic shows up fine here.
Yes, when I returned to this thread the photo was visible. And a nice one at that!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Your right Jareth,a lot of you guys have beautiful collections. It takes many years of collecting,lots of knowledge and of coarse lots of money. Ive found that lots of money being the main factor in any type of collection but having good connections helps a lot also. Some collectors started collecting young spurred on from a parent or sibling ,I myself didn't get bit by the bug until late in life ,so trying to catch up is a task.I really enjoy learning and getting to see some of the Japanese weapons and equipment that was used in the war. I thank all of you for sharing your collections and knowledge. Rick

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Some great stuff on this thread. Dan's display is just jaw dropping and I always like seeing Otter's consecutive Babys (BTW, your ammo box is upside down ;))
Chip, do you own that rifle? I'd swap you back your 4th Izawa for it ;)
It was around 1967 when my dad brought home a T-38 rifle that he bought from a coworker. He paid $20 for it and suggested that I refinish the stock, which did to my eternal regret. The up side to that rifle was that it had a Kokura T-97 sniper bolt in it that I later sold to Harry Derby for $250. Dad did a lot to finance my early collecting years and this photo shows what I had when I went off to the Navy in 1971
Of course most of that stuff is not what I could consider prime collector pieces today. Much was mismatched, etc. While I was in Nuclear Weapons School in Albuquerque, NM (Kirtland AFB) I bought a Nagoya T-99 long rifle for $35 and carried it across my back on my motorcycle trip home on leave after school finished. The weather was perfect until the morning I left and that little hotel on the continental divide is where I spent 3 days snowed in. After that I was able to finish my trip to Riverside, Commiefornia with pretty decent weather. At that time there was an inspection station at the AZ, NM border and they asked if I was taking that rifle to the Black Panthers! I think they were serious!
Back in those days the only reference I had was a reprint of Japanese Infantry Weapons. Then, in 1979, I was in Houston at Collector's Firearms and they had the 1st edition of MROJ. I bought the only copy they had and have been broke ever since and I blame Fred!

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Let me add to the above post that my dad was a veteran of Saipan and Okinawa with the Army Engineers. He did bring back this T-99 and gave it to his cousin who lost it somehow. That rifle would mean more to me than any other in my collection if I had it. My dad always liked Japanese rifles and I remember him saying that he thought the bayonets were kinda flimsy until I showed him one. He was always impressed with the quality of their weapons.
I still think it's pretty cool that he gave me an Arisaka for my first gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Let me add to the above post that my dad was a veteran of Saipan and Okinawa with the Army Engineers. He did bring back this T-99 and gave it to his cousin who lost it somehow. That rifle would mean more to me than any other in my collection if I had it. My dad always liked Japanese rifles and I remember him saying that he thought the bayonets were kinda flimsy until I showed him one. He was always impressed with the quality of their weapons.
I still think it's pretty cool that he gave me an Arisaka for my first gun.

Do I see a SKULL sitting on the engine deck of that Type 95 ?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts