Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As I'm learning about these rifles ( and looking to acquire some more in the future when I have more knowledge), I'm wondering what everyone else likes to collect? I seem drawn to type 38 full length rifles and type 14 pistols. I do want to get a nice type 99 representative for my World War 2 battle rifle collection. I can see that some arsenals are more rare than others since some made very many vs some that made very few. However, once I see "series" it seems to introduce a lot more nuance. Even within the type 38 I see the rear sight change 3 times. The more I learn, as in most collecting, the more variations I am interested in getting. Past the rarity then I see the variables in condition. So, what do you like to collect and why?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
I like all the stuff actually used by the Japanese in the Pacific during the war. This narrows my focus to T-38s and T-99s, and excludes the T-30s and T-35s (although I would love to own a nice T-35) I just need to keep this addiction under control. I don't even collect the Jinsen T-99s because I don't think any of them made it out to the islands. I've been collecting this stuff since the late '60s and my present collection isn't that large but it consists of some very nice examples

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
I collect any cartridge Japanese firearm up till the end if the war. I mainly like the early and late stuff but I will buy anything I dont have and can afford, the latter being the limiting issue. When it come to rifles I see them in different levels of collectables. If it doesn't have a mum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's it .You won ,your King of the hill. That is what its all about .Some guys have trophy wife's, some have fine cars, boats & planes. I like your collection ,it never gets old, breaks down, needs repairs or leaves you as long as your alive . I collect anything military but I have a pile of junk compared to arisakadogs. Rick

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,290 Posts
Fellows, can I play in the sand box, too. Tom, I've never met a Japanese rifle or pistol I don't like and have been collecting them for over 60 years. My pistol collection is now representative, more than anything else, but the rifle collection is fairly comprehensive. That said, I've got representative pieces dating back prior to the War Between the States, plus a handful of Mauser variations, etc. Better stop here.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
IMO, read and look at stuff, and slowly add some items that you find interesting. Now repeat. As you continue to read, and learn, your collection will begin to develop & take shape. It will evolve and take a direction that suits you. I can explain what I like and why, but no one really cares about those details but me. Now, get to a good gun show, read quality forums, maybe find a mentor... and remember Rome (and A-dogs collection) wasn't built in a day!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bob has said a mouthful, our collections are for ourselves. We collect what we enjoy and not many people care, one way or the other. All of us have beautiful collections, your collection will grow with your knowledge. I try to collect one of each series of type 99' s, any one wanna sell a series 12? The devolution of the type 99's intrigues me. And 1 or 2 of the 38's, 44's, 30's. I have a type 1 and type 0, but I have yet to collect any snipers.
Tom, my best suggestion is always, read and read, then read some more. This forum has some great knowledge.
Best of luck to you, where ever your collection takes you

·
Diamond Member
1,057 Posts
Like most Japanese militaria collectors, my dad and I started as more gatherers than collectors - most anything Japanese military was of interest and sought-after. After a while, that building addiction began to out-grow available space (small house), and our pocket books could not support our habit. So, it was time to cut-back on spending and to specialize in one of our main interests. So, over 45 years ago, we began researching and judiciously spending our meager resources on Japanese production pistols. It has been a good and fun ride. Here's an image of our current display collection.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts
Dan:

The attachment software curse strikes again. :mad

I know I’m not the only one who would love to see the photos of your collection if you can try again. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts