Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this at auction recently-all i know is it has been "turked",but not like any i have seen-any and all info would be appreciated,as well as ballpark value as i may have overextended myself a bit-thanks,scott

·
Registered
393 Posts
its a neat one,took me some time to find one and i had to build it from a project rifle,congrats on the find

its considered a antique because the receiver started life prior to 1898,none were produced post 1898

originally it had a steel jacket that incased the barrel,your example pretty much the last configuration they under gone through the many travels these rifles endured

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!! they are highly addictive,lol the history behind them is pretty facinating is accounts for many addiction,once you start digging into its history its like gun crack

congrats again,and just do a google search for GEW 88 or Commission Rifle,and you will be started on your way,also visit the Black powder cartridge firearms section here on the boards

Parralax Bills forum has a section devoted strickly for these ole war horses as well

·
Silver Bullet member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow,lots of info out there if you just open your eyes!-thats a great site-i'll have to tear it apart and do some research-i only saw the 88's in original condition,and although it was the closest match,i didn't dig far enough-scott

·
Registered
393 Posts
yea,i looked for two years for this variant and found a couple but they were over priced so i passed on the,,,found one almost complete but with a broken stock real cheap locally,and had it back 100% before the month ended

·
Registered
658 Posts
great pick up!

·
Gold Bullet Member
316 Posts
Yep, a Turkish modification on a Commission 1888, done to standardize their rifles in the 1930's and on. Nice example, I bought my first for $45 and my last (so far) at $100. Typically, they run on today's market in the $125-150 range, then the high dreamers at gun shows. Just depends on the condition and desire. I do not let $25 or so bucks stop me from buying a gun. An addiction, I guess. I also got a Chinese and a sanded German. Still looking for a real nice matching Imperial but heaven knows whats next

Go to Bill's board for lots of information. Good site with lots of help. Slug the barrel, use US ammo on the safe side, i.e. 0.318 diameter and low load, not the turk or surplus, maybe Romanian

Bill

·
Silver Bullet member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this one has been rebarreled,thats as far as i've gotten so far-lots of old german markings on various parts too,sights not in arabic either-kind of half and half weapon

·
Registered
452 Posts
Turked 1888 Commission rifle

It is commonl referred to as a 88/05/35. The Turks rebarreled and restocked them about the same time they reworked their 1893 and 1903 Mausers.

Stick to US commercial ammo if you shoot it. Turk surplus ammo can put a real strain on the old action. The one I had shoot very well with light loads behind 170 grain speer jacket bullets.

I think I sold mine for $135.00 plus shipping.

Joe

·
Silver Bullet member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a secret to getting the front band off?-rod is out ,the catch will only depress just a hair-i don't want to force anyhting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts