Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a swede carbine. It was listed on guns America. It was owned by a gentleman in Pennsylvania. He stated it belonged to his father who had it for 60 years and he didn't know what it was. I was on a quest to buy a carbine that shot 6.5x55, because I had heard so many great things about it. And it had to be affordable. So it is marked Carl Gustav 1907. Serial#41339. Short rifle 38 inches overall. Short extension on tip. All #'s match including stock. Stock is missing butt plate. No tag on stock. Has a replacement hard plastic or rubber butt pad. Stock was cracked, but was repaired very well. Where sling went through stock was also filled in. !8 inch barrel with good bluing. Rear sight is gone, replaced by a lyman peep sight. Barrel looks great. Someone also added a wooden extension in rear of trigger (pistol grip). Stock appears to be walnut. There are holes on side of stock where I guess there was a buckle. No wooden piece on top of barrel. Included was a set of dies and two boxes of ammo. Paid $250.00. I know you need pictures, but I am 65 and I haven't learned that yet.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,591 Posts
Welcome to the Forum . You have a M94 Swedish Mauser carbine . Could have been a M94/14 with the bayonet lug , but without the front end , we do not know what model it was ? It is in the correct serial range . $250 is a fair price , since it has been sporterized . If in original configuration , the price could be between $500-$1000 depending on condition . Yes , there was a leather buckle where the cutout has been filled in . The muzzle extension was added by the importer to meet the 18" barrel length required by law back in the '50's and '60's . Since that time , the legal length has been reduced to 16" for rifles . You can find the parts to restore it to military configuration , but it would be cheaper to buy a complete carbine . Many of these carbines were sporterized when imported and now days collectors are looking for the discarded parts to restore their carbine . If you are interested in what it looked like , there are number of carbine photos on the Dutchman's " House of Karlina " . See the link below :

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. I have no intention of selling it, I would like to hunt deer with it this year. Why do you think the rear sight was removed? Does a rear sight interfere with the Lyman peep sight? If there is no interference, I would like to replace it. Where would I get one?

·
9,591 Posts
I doubt any interference , as I see many sporters with Lyman & original sights . Why your's was removed is anyone's guess ? I have an original M94 rear sight for $35 delivered 1st class mail , if interested . It has the locating screw that holds it in place for soldering . You should have a dimple on top of the barrel . Unfortunately , you will have to remove the front sight base , as it won't slide over the base . That may be more trouble than it is worth to you ?

·
9,591 Posts
The screw is there to hold position while soldering the base . The barrel extensions may be welded , soldered , or pressed in place . Usually the muzzle is counter bored for the extension & leaves an ugly looking muzzle when removed . We have seen a few that are not counter bored , but not common . Some M94's are found without the extension . In that case , the barrel protrudes about 1/8" past the nose cap . My guess , the front end of the stock was chopped , so no nose cap or handguard band ? Originally , these M94's had full length stocks right up even with the front base .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.