Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought some ammo described as 7.62x54r.
When I finally checked it out, no way is it 7.62x54r
It's rimmed and has what appears to be a steel bullet.
Case is marked: CP P and dated 2 39
Any ideas? The 7.62x54r round is to the left.
The neck appears shorter and the base larger

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think you have them mixed up The one in the middle looks like a 308 and the right and left are 762X54R

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you have them mixed up The one in the middle looks like a 308 and the right and left are 762X54R

You are right, I accidently used a .308 in the middle.
I've changed the photos to add the 7x62x54r
I'm thinking you're right about the 8.56

·
Registered
8 Posts
You got 8x56R. Go out and get a Steyr carbine from AIM for cheap and shoot it. The round in the middle must be Chinese 308.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Guys, that is certainly 8x50R Lebel.
If nothing else, the cannelure on the base is a dead give-away as to it's id - for use in Lebel tube mags to avoid recoil-induced detonation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,
Thank you all for the help. I believe it is an 8mm Lebel as several have stated.
I checked through the rest of the ammo and some was headstamped CP F which would be a French made Lebel headstamp.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
Heh, when i first saw your message about a steel bullet and rim on a 7.62x54R i was going to ask if you knew what the R was for. But, It appears to be real 8mm lebel. May I inquire where you got this lebel ammo, and how much? I don't have a lebel or berthier rifle but i always thought that stuff was cool looking ammo and if i have enough around maybe I'll make myself get something that shoots it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I recently bought some ammo described as 7.62x54r.
When I finally checked it out, no way is it 7.62x54r
It's rimmed and has what appears to be a steel bullet.
Case is marked: CP P and dated 2 39
Any ideas? The 7.62x54r round is to the left.
The neck appears shorter and the base larger

Since I am no ammo expert, I thought it was another swollen Albanian Mosin load.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
Unknown Cartrtidge?

8mm balle "N" (aka 8mm Lebel , "N" ( 1932) MG cartridge for Hotchkiss MG, 235grain lead core, CuNi jacket proj, Usually primers dead or hangfire. Post-WW II mfg usually, out of Algeria/Syria( although French made) .

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts