Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a gun in trade for some work about 13 years ago. I put it away and just recently looked at it. I've been looking up data on the gun and it get confusing. This is what I have:
As marked on gun: Left side of slide - BAIKAL IJ-70, KBI. INC HBG, PA MADE IN RUSSIA TB 1178
Right side of slide: (backwards N)>K - 70 Cal 9mm Makarov
Left side above grip: TB 1178 A005089
Right side above grip: Made in Russia
Grip: Has "Baikal" on left and "Made in Russia" on right
The sights are adjustable. I list all this data because I've read so much about imitations, ammo size, etc..
The box is marked: Makarov, double action, semi automatic, 9mm Makarov (9x18), Pistol
Model No. IJ-70, Article No. GR8907, Caliber 9mm Makarov (9x18), Serial No. A005089
It has a bar code label that says: RUSSIAN MAKAROV 9X18 DA AS 8RD BLUE 073, *KBIJ70, A005089

It comes with a brown leather holster, strap, tool, cleaning rod, 2 magazines, KBI warranty cards, Baikal instruction book with filled out , stamped, Acceptance Certificate.
Date of manufacture: 04.93
There is also a box of ammo: 9x18 Makarov, 95 gr. TMJ, 50 cartridges. Centerfire ammunition, Part No. 3506, Made in USA
I think I have it all figured out except the TB 1178 markings.
I have never fired it. I'm just trying to get some info on this gun and decide whether to keep it or trade for another.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ИЖ-70 = IJ-70 in Crylic (actually Izh-70 as in Izhmash, don't know why importers choose IJ instead)
You have a russian commercial Makarov make in the Izhmash factory exported by Baikal, Inported by K.B.I.
I assume the numbers your asking about is a serial number, but other know better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
check out www.makarov.com for good write up.

Just an excerpt from their site...
"
Russia
There are several versions of the Russian Makarov. First of all there are the true surplus guns, which are recognizable by their fixed rear sight and a lack of any non-cyrillic markings including "Made in Russia." Second is the Baikal and Izhmech new production Makarov. These are recognizable by their rear adjustable target sight, "Made in Russia" and Baikal markings. Another variant of this is the 10-round double-stack Makarov, which was also made by Izhmech...."

nvwardog

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
I have never fired it. I'm just trying to get some info on this gun and decide whether to keep it or trade for another.
The TB 1178 markings on the slide and frame were the original serial number. As cyrillic letters were sometimes used, ATF required the pistols to be reserialized at import, thus it's new serial number is the A005089 you also observed.

So, shoot it! You got ammo, what are you waiting for? Afraid it will grow on you? Odds are, it will.

SlimTim

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
IJ70,
Can you enlighten me on the difference between Izhmash and Izhmech. I always assumed it was just 2 different English spellings for the same factory in Izhevsk.
The wiki is wrong. The original factory was formed in 1807. In 1942 it was split up into Izhevsk Mechanical Factory (IzhMech) and Izhevsk Tool Factory (IzhMash).

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
"
Federal State Unitary Plant "IZHEVSKY MEKHANICHESKY ZAVOD" (FSUP “IMZ”) is one of the largest enterprises of Russia's Agency on Conventional Armament.
The №375 Order of the USSR National Arms Commissioner, dated July 21, 1942, was a starting point in the history of enterprise. It said:
"In pursuance of the N° 2067 Decree of the State Defence Committee of 20.07.1942 I give the order to:

1. Divide the N° 74 Plant into two independent plants
  2. Establish the independent plant named as the N° 622 State All-Union Small-Arms Plant for production of the Degtyarev and Simonov anti-tank rifles, Nagant revolvers, PT, AT and TT pistols, 26 mm signal pistols, ball mounts and Nordenfeld's igniting fuses."
In 1944 the plant has organized the manufacturing facilities for quantity-production of civil goods such as: motorcycles units, mining equipment, dial scales.
Within 1945 - 1955 the serially produced TT pistol was replaced by the PM - new army Makarov pistol, subsequently recognized as the best world pistol of its class. In total more than 5 million pistols were produced at the plant.
..."
http://imzcorp.com/en/info/history.html

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
More than 5 million Russian Maks produced, is that just the military model or does it include the 2 years of civilian production? With that many out there you'd think I'd have more than 8. I guess I've not not been looking hard enough.

·
Administrator
7,395 Posts
More than 5 million Russian Maks produced, is that just the military model or does it include the 2 years of civilian production? With that many out there you'd think I'd have more than 8. I guess I've not not been looking hard enough.
Or in the right places. Try looking in the teritory of the former USSR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was given a gun in trade for some work about 13 years ago. I put it away and just recently looked at it. I've been looking up data on the gun and it get confusing. This is what I have:
As marked on gun: Left side of slide - BAIKAL IJ-70, KBI. INC HBG, PA MADE IN RUSSIA TB 1178
Right side of slide: (backwards N)>K - 70 Cal 9mm Makarov
Left side above grip: TB 1178 A005089
Right side above grip: Made in Russia
Grip: Has "Baikal" on left and "Made in Russia" on right
The sights are adjustable. I list all this data because I've read so much about imitations, ammo size, etc..
The box is marked: Makarov, double action, semi automatic, 9mm Makarov (9x18), Pistol
Model No. IJ-70, Article No. GR8907, Caliber 9mm Makarov (9x18), Serial No. A005089
It has a bar code label that says: RUSSIAN MAKAROV 9X18 DA AS 8RD BLUE 073, *KBIJ70, A005089

It comes with a brown leather holster, strap, tool, cleaning rod, 2 magazines, KBI warranty cards, Baikal instruction book with filled out , stamped, Acceptance Certificate.
Date of manufacture: 04.93
There is also a box of ammo: 9x18 Makarov, 95 gr. TMJ, 50 cartridges. Centerfire ammunition, Part No. 3506, Made in USA
Except for the serial number, A044022, mine is virtually the same. Mine has a star on the grip, same as the picture on the box.
Air gun Trigger Font Revolver Gun barrel

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have the same gun except in .380. It was not my first choice, but it has grown on me and I have more than 7000 rounds through it, almost all reloads. It may not be as desirable as a military Makarov, but it is still a fine gun. I especially like it with the fixed sight replacement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts