Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not collect swords but I happen to run into this one.. It was cheap and interesting so I grabbed it. Anyone out there can tell me anything about it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sword

In the summer of 1954, I bought a sword identical to yours at a little place in NYC, at 103 West 44th Street, called The Hobby House. I paid $1.00 for it, and was told by the owner (a Mr. Hollander) that it was a Japanese policeman's sword. Mine had no scabbard, and the blade was not in very good shape. But for an 11 year-old kid, it was great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Parade Swords

Hi Conductor,
There was a post on the subject of Parade or Dress swords back in March 30, 07. It first title was "Orphan Swords of Japan", Topic ID=219283 You will find the info you need on that posting if you can bring it up.
JLKwilinski

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Orphan Swords of Japan -JLKwilinski- 3/07

Print Page | Close Window
Orphan Swords of Japan
Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=219283
Printed on: 09/21/2007

Topic:

Topic author: JLKwilinski
Subject: Orphan Swords of Japan
Posted on: 03/30/2007 10:00:12 PM
Since the opening up of Swords for discution, I thought I would bring up the Parade or Dress sword of the Army and Police. I can't remember ever seeing anything on these discussion groups about them. Seems like they arn't very popular so I guess they arn't worth much. I'll post my three on this board just for the heck of it.
JLKwilinski

Download Attachment:
185.66 KB

Download Attachment:
120.34 KB

Download Attachment:
82.04 KB

Download Attachment:
221.41 KB

I would have posted more pictures, but I seem to be limited. Seems that I am only able to get three or four pictures posted.​

Replies:

Reply author: gtbehary
Replied on: 03/30/2007 10:19:26 PM
I believe that they are gaining in popularity and are still somewhat affordable. Nice swords!

Reply author: BradB
Replied on: 03/31/2007 3:23:47 PM
As near as I can tell, you have one Company Grade (top) (LT-CPT) and one Field Grade (MAJ-COL) Army dress sword. The middle is company grade with a good deal of gilt remaining? The Field Grades are uncommon. NICE!

Reply author: Guntojim
Replied on: 03/31/2007 8:31:44 PM
As prices rise on swords, these sabres are going to become more in demand due to their relative low price. I have been seeing them in antique and pawn stores at between 125.00-250.00 with some outrageously listed at 425.00. Fortunately, not many folks are aware of the signifcance of the backstrap decorations, turtle shell grips or double hangars so opportunities do exist to build a collection for not much cash outlay. Don't know if a collection of parade sabres is high on anyone's list, but they are somewhat interesting and fill out the military sword field. Here is a shot of the two I have, note the differences in the in blade and scabbard construction just between two sabres. The number of variations out there could be quite numerous. Jim

Download Attachment:
75.08 KB

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 03/31/2007 9:05:28 PM
Swords, it's a whole other country. Didn't Forrest Gump say sumpin like that?

Reply author: Gunnett
Replied on: 04/01/2007 12:16:50 AM

Download Attachment:
21.24 KB

Reply author: Gunnett
Replied on: 04/01/2007 12:25:42 AM

Download Attachment:
29.99 KB

Download Attachment:
17.93 KB

Download Attachment:
22.47 KB

Reply author: Edokko
Replied on: 04/01/2007 12:29:51 AM
Gunnet, that brown and orange field grade officer's tassel is pretty valuable. As present market will go, probably more expensive than the sabre sword itself.

Reply author: rlabar
Replied on: 04/01/2007 3:49:54 PM
One of the few topics I can have some input in. I have 17 of these, and it seems a lot like collecting Japanese bayonets, the variations seem endless. I have two generals, different lengths, a school marked blade, several nice custom made, a few with family creates, and a really rare fully marked handle. I really like the two Gunnet put up for our viewing pleasure, and please make a point to contact me if you decide to get arid of them. I can't afford to collect the officers sword, and this is the next best think. Thanks for bringing this subject up for conversation.
Raymond
[email protected]

Reply author: JLKwilinski
Replied on: 04/01/2007 6:44:58 PM
The short length sword had a gold with red stripe Navy (?) sword knot.
JLKwilinski

Reply author: 45Auto
Replied on: 04/02/2007 11:13:55 AM
a long time ago, I had one with a nickle plated copper blade! It was sort of beat up so I sold it.

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

Close Window

1 - 5 of 5 Posts