Gunboards Forums banner

What do I have here? Winchester model 1894

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Frosty 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, hope your all doing well, I usually don’t find myself on this board as lever actions tend to be out of my wheelhouse I specialize more in word war 1/2 period items. I inherited this Winchester recently from a family member that passed away and I don’t know much about these types of rifles, I can see there’s a .38-55 caliber marking on the barrel but other then that I’m not sure how to date these.. also would it effect the value if I clean the crude off the gun? Its almost a stain I can peel off with my finger nail would it hurt the value? How much do these usually run in a condition like this? The bore is very nice and looks excellent, there is a few small scratches on the receiver. I am not planning on selling this rifle just looking to be educated any input is appreciated no matter how little thanks agai

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Man I hate you !
I've been looking at getting another levergun and the 38-55 is at the top of my list.
I just picked up a 26" Buffalo Bill model 94 and decided another '94 in a different caliber might be worth a look.
Now you've made up my mind !!

#9 ·
Very nice find. The 38-55 (actually a .3775", so pretty near the "38" of the designation) is an excellent round for hunting within its effective range. Date by checking serial number against published tables - the one I have handy also says 1898 (making the gun a true antique, which is desirable).

Will NOT hurt value by proper cleaning. That means solvents only, no abrasives. Don't feel very comfortable about trying to value it, but pre-1/1/1899 1894s in decent condition (and this one is) can easily bring $1500-2500.

#11 ·
for a 122 year old rifle, the appearance looks about perfect. the bore is unbelievable. if it was mine, i would mostly just "oil it and take dern good care of it". the appearance that you describe is called 'patina' and this is good patina. don't you dare try to shine that one up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.