Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you guys tell me about this one. The sellers pics aren't the best. It doesn't have the usual year and maker marks on the wrist - it's been scrubbed. It's definitely been thru an arsenal and repaired/refinished and I'm assuming that's where the maker and year information was scrubbed. The Serial number on wrist of stock matches the magazine serial number and the stock serial number. The seller says the bolt is unnumbered. It has a faint import mark and is also faintly marked .303 BRIT U.K. The bore is nice and bright.

All things being equal unless you guys say there's something hokey about it I am buying it tomorrow. The price is $225 so in today's market doesn't seem like a bad price to me.

Thanks,
Earl

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Dale. Yep, all wrapped up. We meet tomorrow. I asked specifically on the bolt and he said he coudlnt' find any markings on it. I get it tomorrow evening. Sort of buying it for my son (he's into milsurps now too). I'll post up more pics when I get it. Thanks, Earl

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
It's "supposed" to be done with any used firearm...but how many of us have actually done it? After a total teardown, meticulous cleaning, and inspection of all which matters during reassembly....

I close my eyes and grit my teeth ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I met the fellow after sneaking out of work early today...one look and I knew it was mine. He hadn't looked in the right place on the bolt - it too is matching. My guess - since I haven't bought an Enfield in 20 years I'd be interested in your ideas on this one, is that it is unissued after a rearsenal at some time. The S#NA22178 is on the wrist, bolt, magazine, and stock. It's stamped on the fore stock there 3 times for some reason. The bore is mint. I think it was a steal at $225?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,491 Posts
Looks to me like the receiver has been scrubbed just forward of the ejector screw. It's either a refurb done somewhere weird or a US refinish. It certainly never came out of an Enfield factory with that finish. Still a nice rifle at a good price.

How many grooves in the bore, 2, 4, 5 or 6?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wouldn't begin to know how to determine how many grooves are in the bore. I took the rear handguard off and there are several brittish nitro proofs and a crown 59 stamp so I assume it went thru some sort of refit in '59? It's definitely been thru some sort of a rearsenal due to the scrubbed receiver markings, also the follower in the magazine is from Savage. I see no FTR mark though on the barrell when I removed the rear handguard or anywhere on the stock.

The importer markings may tell something to some of you? very, very very faint at the bottom of the left wrist above the trigger is stamped IAC Alex Va and then on the left of the receiver by the vent hole is .303 Britt UK (two line, UK on the bottom).

-Edit- did a google search and found references (I believe on this forumn) to those markings indicating it was an Interarms import.

Earl

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dale, the receiver isn't scrubbed. I can't find a U mark like you describe but I can see where the original markings are now - helped when I saw some photos on the web on where they are on other Faz rifles. They are there. But they were most likely pretty light to begin with. The (I think) arsenal refinish is over the top of them and they are very difficult to read now even with a magnifying glass but I can make out No 4 Mk I F - but still there.

Mine appears to have the same finish as the one pictured here - though my Interarms stamp is much lighter and in a different place:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?237731-Enfields-Imported-by-Interarms-of-Alexandria-VA

Earl

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The FTR marking is there as well as I think the year but on mine it all appears to be on one line. They were originally etched like they are in that pic, but the finish applied now is over them so no amount of angles in a picture is going to get them to show in a photo - as I said, you need a magnifying glass pretty much for them to be visible. As for the import markings, I'm no finish expert but if I had to guess I think the finish was applied after they were - there is no brightness around the letters in the importer markings. As I indicated in previous replies, no I don't believe the rifle has been issued in it's current condition - it's too nice. The maker stamp on this gun is NOT in exactly the same location as those you picture. It runs along the top under the full length of the rear sight all the way almost to the safety - and one line, not 2.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Suncorite is the finish, similar to black paint, that was used by the UK and applied to the metal. Does yours have a "U" with an arrow in it on top of the reciever, indicating South African use? It kinda puts me in the mind of a South African marked Savage I have, and even though yours is a Faz I wonder if many of the SA No4s would have been made to look similar to one another if FTR or refurb'd over there.

Just curious, and for those saying he scored big time at his buying price can you please expound further. We know it looks good, is a Faz, and is numbers matching, and probably well worth the $225 he paid for it, but is there something making this rifle more valuable than others in similar condition that we are missing, I.E. the scrubbed reciever being a legit arsenal action not found very often, or possibly used for some specific clandestine purpose? Or is it more than likely a case of Bubba wanting to make it look better and in the process the reciever markings were lost?

It is definately nice for $225 and will probably do well at the range if looks are any indication. When ya gonna shoot that thang?

Dale
Matching number Enfields list for $500.00 at the gun shows i have attended over the past 2 years, in Florida1

Mismatched Enfields are usually priced at $300.00, PLUS!

You did FANTASTIC!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks AFVeteran..actually if I pull the safety lever back, I"m able to make out the full date stamp. It's the last characters on that line. This one is dated '44 not '45. I wish I could take some photos of those markings but my digital camera is not capable of taking magnified digital photos good enough to be readable.

This is about the best I can do but you can see the markings are there and the date '44.

Earl

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Suncorite is a trade name and there are several numbers available for numerous industrial applications. You know that paint coating on 'black pipe'...the type typically used in fire sprinkler systems? That is a version of Suncorite. Looks close to what the British used but not the same.
You'll have to find someone somewhere who might be able to sneak some out for you as the product is sold in industrial drums and not pckaged for the consumer market.

It's also toxic and carcenegenic. So unless you are already prepared to work with HazMat protections it's going to be a costly proposition. I surely wouldn't be exposing an 8yr old to it, directly or indirectly.

Anyone here happen to recall the Suncorite number/version used on MoD stuff?

***There was one person as far as I'm aware of who had a small amount of the correct stuff to use on high end "restorative" repairs. That was a while back, I don't know if there is any left, and I'm not about to toss that person under a bus by blabbing a name all over the internet.

I once sought out getting some of the alternative to no avail.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Suncorite 259.... UN Number:1263. Contains Xylene, Butanol & Phenol. In x1 litre cans to the armourers shops. Someone take it off my hands if it's that dangerous, only states "in case of insufficient vetilation wear suitable equipment" so will revert back to Ponal wood glue for kicks LoL

·
Registered
646 Posts
No intention of spraying you, Here and elsewhere it is not only Haz gear that is a problem, tried posting a few
M17 stocks a while ago and they came back stating, no gun parts will be allowed & due to length of course couldn't hide the fact they were not anything other than novel wooden standard lamp posts...but they still got back here sadly. So the end for the collectors is drawing nigh IMHO but (Qt.) I could be wrong?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.