Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per a reply from my post on another forum:

could use the help of the great people on this board.

I have recently come into possession of a model 98 German Mauser - the rifle was built in 1942. All numbers match, 135 stamped all over it (Obendorf) etc. NOW, this is my problem- the stock, simple hardwood, very crude, NO butt plate, and never had one, no hole for a sling, no front band for a sling and never drilled for a cleaning rod, no firing pin tool in the stock either. But, this stock is numbered with the same serial number! Did they re number replacment stocks in the field? The length on the rifle is original, but the stock is shorter than normal. The previous owner is a great american VET, that brought it home from Germany in 1945. He tells me that its exactly how he found it. I can post pics if someone could give me a tip on how to. Your expertise is very much appreciated! Jim

The rear sight is a "leaf style" upto 200 meters? Another feature I must bring up is that this rifle is parkerized, the bolt, pin and some other internal parts are black and not a machined silver. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance. Jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,749 Posts
Possibly a field-expedient repair, or a late-war rebuild

I will check when I get home and post. What features are important to post?
Barrel length, rear sight style, front sight, etc. I think the line of questioning might be leaning towards a late-war rebuilt "Volksturm" rifle. Search the auction sites for "Volksturm K-98" and you'll see one. Of course, it could just be a field expedient repair also, nothing more than an unusual stock. Without photos it's difficult to ascertain. Dang, I shouldn't have posted this, you were asking for an "EXPERT".... sorry !! ;)

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
get a case of turkish ammo. then shoot it till nice and hot. if the silver solder starts to run off the rear sight then its a last ditch. LOL...................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts