Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, im just wondering if anyone can help me. I bought this Belgian Mauser at a local Gun Store of mine and it was labeled as a Model 1935, but it has so many features that dont resemble a 1935 such as a bent bolt. I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this rifle. I know its a lot of photos but im really struggling to identify this and i really could use some help.

Thanks,
ryan.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
The Leopold crest shows that you have an FN M1935. Unfortunately, someone bent your bolt handle and ruined it.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
rather than calling it ruined, i would say it's been altered. but dyed in the wool collectors like geladen's group do feel that it has been ruined.

what i'm wondering about is how come it's wearing a vz24 style stock??

·
Registered
282 Posts
Greetings,
Setting aside the bent bolt, etc, It is most assuredly NOT in an original Belgian M1935 stock. The Belgian M1935 did not use the German 84/98 type bayonet.
Also, if in original caliber, it is 7.65x53mm Belgian/Argentine. If it is 30-06, it was made or converted into a M1950 (that is what the stock appears to resemble).
If the rear receiver bridge has".30" stamped into the metal, it is or was cal.30-06.
Hope this info was helpful.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Hi Ryan & if this your "Welcome" initiation here, sorry! But the "doctor is in" and if this your first prognosis of living with an "almost ran" mauser" rifle, welcome to the world of many of us! I'm not even a full fledged 'mauser man', and with my "but for..." share of 'them'. Earning my stripes across many informative collector forums, as learning "BYOL"; "...lube!" :) Such if you're coming to this Forum, with its 'gathering of true eagles'. The positive side, factual and 'no agendas'! What a resource & free!!! Moreover, a learning curve. For me here, as conjuring all business & substance; sometimes good to step back and view 'process' as genuine benefit in expertise to behold!

Returning to substance... I note what 'appears' a bolt handle bent in pattern of sporting "low scope" application rather than even altered in military style. If obliterating any serial match, or otherwise unsure of originality to rifle, a headspace check appropriate for safety!
As safe, take that rifle out and shoot it!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks to me like what you have is a sporter rescue. The bent bolt and replaced front sight sort of point to that. The stock looks to be a VZ24 Czech. Thinking somebody tried to retun it to military form and just found a stock that had all the parts and used that. Looks like it should have been drilled and tapped for a scope, but I dont see any holes , just the bent and relieved bolt to clear one. So its a parts gun. If you can get it far a good price would make a good shooter. If the bore is good and the headspace is OK.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Ok. That Seems likely. Bummer, I’d like the original caliber myself, but hope it’s accurate regardless. I know the collectors won’t seem to give it a thought. But for a shooter/hunting rifle etc. It could very well be great in that role. Best of luck sir.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. That Seems likely. Bummer, I’d like the original caliber myself, but hope it’s accurate regardless. I know the collectors won’t seem to give it a thought. But for a shooter/hunting rifle etc. It could very well be great in that role. Best of luck sir.
the rifling on it is really good, i have no plans on selling it, im happy with what i got.

Thanks man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.