Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working with a small private museum, brought home a percussion rifle to clean up. It is marked 1834 with a styleized "Crown" FW at the base of the barrel.
It has a 39" inch barrel with full length wood and ram rod.
There is a "crown" "S" stamped on the striker.
The trigger guard is brass with a sling hole in front and the other sling hole on the center band. Trigger guard has an "H 36" stamped on the foreend.
Sorry, not that good at pictures.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All three bands are brass. The rod goes through the end band about 2 3/4" and then lays in the groove cut into the bottom of the stock being exposed, and passing under the center band.
The barrel does measure approx .713.
It is what I would say is in good to excellant condition for it's age.
THe butt plate is brass being held on with one screw in the rear and one on top. The numbers "9854" and "36" are stamped on the butt plate.
We gave the stock a linseed oil treatment, and the gun looks quite nice.
Would you hazzard any ball park value ? Thanks, Tom
Let me see what I can do for a picture.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TP, hopefully you got my email that I might send you a couple of pictures of this gun.

The marks on the lock are "crown" over "S"
A few light unreadable marks below that
and then what looks like a "S U H F"
The thumb pull on the lock is checkered.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate what you guys have done. So I can maybe assume that this rifle being in as good of shape as it is, might have been imported into the US much later than the Civil War.
However as a museum piece, it could be represented as a Prussian import to the Union Army.

I live in a community of Prussians that came to the US late in the 1800's and settled in to the states of Missouri and Nebraska, and then migrated out here to eastern Idaho. German was spoken here in the Lutheran church and the schools untill the German hysteria during WW-I, then they thought it best to speak the queen's english. My best friend was born in Germany and his father had served on the Russian front for the Wehrmacht.

My son took off the 3 bands and lifted the barrel to find that the rear tang had been broken from the rear breach insert. I assume that a reproduction part may be found, but we are not too conserned as it is a wall hanger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.