Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this listed locally and bought it for a pretty low price. Can Doc or anyone else help me ID this one? Did Bubba get his hands on it?

I would like to know what the rifle started its life as, and if the stock remolding and plugging of the firing pin takedown disc was factory or by Bubba? Under the 1940 stamp on the receiver you can just barely make out a couple of letters....

Fashion accessory Metal
Metal Brass Tin Bronze Copper
Wood Close-up Circle Metal
Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun
Shotgun Antique tool Wood
Antique tool Tomahawk
Shotgun Wood Antique tool
Shotgun Brush hook Wood Antique tool
Shotgun
Tree Wood Trunk Plant Plant stem
Auto part Metal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The stock is definitly a Bubba job. It looks like it was a Belgian made rifle (or barrel) at one point, judging by the Bayard logo. Can you post pictures of the complete action and bolt?

Yeah I figured Bubba had some involvement in this, but the plugging of the stock disc/takedown tool/whatever it is in the true stock looks so good, and the wood from the plug seems to match to stock wood, I wasn't sure how much involvement Bubba had. Doh! Forgot those pics didn't i? Here are some of the complete action and barrel, but I don't have anymore pics of the bolt, other than what I've posted.

View attachment 2015145 View attachment 2015153 View attachment 2015161 View attachment 2015169 View attachment 2015177 View attachment 2015185 View attachment 2015193 View attachment 2015201 View attachment 2015209

I also added a picture of the importer just in case that could be a clue because I don't recognize their stamp. The barrel is 24" and the OAL is 44".

As to the logo, its Belgian? I tried to search for some info on it, but couldn't find anything too valuable. Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Because of barrel length, the front sights, the faint markings that are left on the receiver and the fact that SPANDAU used an unknown number of Gewehr 98 receivers made by Pieper during WW1, I think it's a former German Model 98AZ Carbine made by SPANDAU that was accepted, after some modifications, in to Turkish service as their Model 38 short rifle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because of barrel length, the front sights, the faint markings that are left on the receiver and the fact that SPANDAU used an unknown number of Gewehr 98 receivers made by Pieper during WW1, I think it's a former German Model 98AZ Carbine made by SPANDAU that was accepted, after some modifications, in to Turkish service as their Model 38 short rifle.
That would explain everything perfectly! I almost didn't go through with the deal, but now I'm glad I did. How rare is she?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.