Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides WW2
I have a #5/Mk1 Faz with a name (Wm J Ploim) & the date 1965 lightly scratched in the buttpad.
Any ideas?? Souvenir or just some bubba marking his rifle up?? Carbine is all matching & in excellent condition inside & out so I wouldn't think bubba would do it.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
The Vietnam war? (by communist forces) I am sure I have read of no.5 rifles being used in that conflict.Possibly Malaya but I do not know that just a guess as it was in the right time frame.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The No 5 saw some use in Malaya by British Forces although in later years and conflicts in that region it was issued to Iban trackers in Sarawak & Borneo.
I was once told by a gun dealer who served there in the Royal Marines that it provided monkey meat for the Ibans.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Start posting the pics lads,

I have seen alot of photos of them being carried in Malaya.

cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think they were used by everyone everywhere, where they needed weapons .
I do know that they have been used in Afganistan at the present time .
( by the enemy )

·
Banned
904 Posts
Brits in Malaya

I used to work with a guy (Pom) who had served with the British forces in Malaya before migrating to Oz. A lot of Brits, particularly those with military time migrated to oz then joined Police forces or Prison services.

Dont know what unit he was with but knowing the guy it was probably MP's or Provost. He said that his unit was armed with American M1 Carbines..and that everyone who had ever had to use them complained of their lack of 'effect' against the CT's.

He did speak about the jungle carbine (cause the rifle club we were both in had guys who brought 'em out and shot 'em regularly) but cant recall him saying much about who was issued with 'em. The impression I got from his talks was that the regular troops were just armed with the usual No.4 rifle.

John Murphy...yeah Irish name but he wasnt... :)...gone to that great rifle range in the sky now...but he went on to coach the NSW Police rifle team. We both spent many happy years in that team and collected lots of trophies from the interstate cops. He was one of my mentors in the world of fullbore target shooting.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
I've got a little book on the Malayan Emergency floating around here somewhere...lots of pics in it of British troops, regular infantry, RM, and SAS carrying the No.5 on patrols and other ops (along with Brens, Stens, Owens, and M1 carbines as well). Malayan constabulary troops carried them also. I may be reading too much into it, but the book made it appear that the No.4 was largely issued to the native trackers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Malaya... and here's some pictures

Here we go.
Rhodesian African Rifles in the Malayan Emergency

Matthew

·
Administrator
9,363 Posts
No5 MkI in combat use

Occupations of Japanese-held areas in SE Asia, 1945;
Palestine,up to Israeli Independance;
Israeli War of 1948, by Brits who "
stayed behind" when Britain gave up its mandate;
Suez Incident, 1956 (Paras)
Kenya MauMau uprising ( early 1950s
Malayan Emergency ( 1950s)
Konfrontasi ( Malaysia/Indonesia border skirmishes in Borneo, carried by Malaysians, Brit.SAS and Aussie SAS)
Some carried by Brits occupying Southern Vietnam 1945-46 before French returned.
Korean War.
Aden Insurgency (1960s-70s)
Biafran War (Civil war in Nigeria, 1960-61)
Spread across Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, etc, as a Police and Poacher rifle.

Any More?

Doc AV
AV Ballistics

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
why are there not more SLR's? Why would only one guy have one?
Any number of reasons. Depends on when the picture was taken. The Malayan Emergency ran from '47 or '48 until 1962. The SLR probably would have been a while filtering down to Rhodesian native units.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
I've got one that was almost as bad as that. I took pity on the old girl, cleaned her up and kept her.

·
Copper Bullet member
696 Posts
Malayan No.5

My No.5 must have saw service in the Malayan Emergency because of the pitts I found under the wood. Must have been drug thru the jungle, but she cleaned up good and is all matching BSA. Not the prettiest No.5 but has some history stored in it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My No.5 must have saw service in the Malayan Emergency because of the pitts I found under the wood. Must have been drug thru the jungle, but she cleaned up good and is all matching BSA. Not the prettiest No.5 but has some history stored in it.
Do any of you guys have a photo of a fully functional No. 5. I haven't seen one since I was teenager.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do any of you guys have a photo of a fully functional No. 5. I haven't seen one since I was teenager.
Depends on what you mean by fully functional. Mine is a Maylay and has some pitting( nothing like seen above). But she functions just fine.

Infact I just took her to the range for the first time. The only complaint I have is that she digests 303 to fast for my wallet to replenish since the recoil did not take off my shoulder as all the horror stories led me to believe.

Judah

1 - 20 of 31 Posts