Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a c96 from an online estate auction. Seller thought is was 7.65 x 21mm (= .30 luger). Most C96's are 7.63 x 25 mm (=.30 Mauser) and of course some 9mm which this gun is not. I have aslo confimred that are some .30 Luger C96's.

How can i tell if its chambered in .30 luger or .30 Mauser? Are there any safety issues if I try .30 luger first?

thanks for help

· Copper Bullet member
9,964 Posts
Not an expert, but I've never heard of a 7.65 Luger Mauser C96. Now is when it's nice to have dummies in lots of calibers. Being longer, a 7.63 Mauser round will not chamber if the pistol is in-fact in 7.65 Luger.

· Registered
2,517 Posts
Bought a c96 from an online estate auction. Seller thought is was 7.65 x 21mm (= .30 luger). Most C96's are 7.63 x 25 mm (=.30 Mauser) and of course some 9mm which this gun is not. I have aslo confimred that are some .30 Luger C96's.

How can i tell if its chambered in .30 luger or .30 Mauser? Are there any safety issues if I try .30 luger first?

thanks for help
Try a .357 Magnum round in it first, that one should fit for sure.... If that does not work, step up to a .44.

· Registered
2,517 Posts

thanks for help
Stop horsing around and post a few good pics of your pistol here if you want people to help you out. :mad:

· Registered
6,062 Posts
Why don't you just try a sized empty 7.62x25 mm (.30 Mauser) case to see if it will chamber fully. If the sized empty case won't go into the chamber completely then it must be chambered for the .30 Luger round or something else. Simple as that.

· Registered
2,517 Posts
It's not in .30 Luger. If it's not in 9x19 or 9x25 Export, it's in .30 Mauser. The guy said that "many" were converted in Finland, but how many? I doubt that Finns had an extensive program of converting C96 Mausers to a .30 Luger. It's like saying that many 1895 Nagants were converted to 7.62 Tokarev ammo. Sure there were some, I even had one myself, but "many"? Highly unlikely. I asked him to post info on it, but he clammed up. I surely would love to learn something new . After all, that's what this forum is all about.

· Registered
351 Posts
after WWI Finland acquired a quantity of C96's - in 1923 they adapted the P08 in7.65 parabellem as issue + many of the C96's were converted to 7.65 luger - personally never seen one - most were marked with SA in a box to denote army issue -
Markku Palokangas does not mention that in his book. If some private conversions have been done, the Finnish Army did not. I have never heard of a C96 in 7.65 Para.

· Registered
2,808 Posts
You can easily tell by the muzzle end of the bore if its 30 cal or 9mm. If it is 30 cal there is virtually no chance it is 30 luger but simply dropping a round in the chamber will tell you. The Luger round will fall deep enough into the chamber that it will not fire. You can also try a mauser round and if it is not correct the bolt will not close and allow the mechanism to lock up so it will not fire. 9mm parabellum will do the same if the caliber is 9mm Mauser. It will fall in to the chamber too deep to fire. It is unlikely that it is 9mm Mauser but you can look at the serial number to help determine that. Almost all of the known 9 mauser pistols have an "a" suffix on the serial number. You will have a hard time finding 9mm mauser ammunition to test fit.

Frank

· Registered
2,517 Posts
You are absolutely correct, Frank. The only reason I mentioned 9x25 Export is that they do pop up once in a while, certainly more often than ones chambered in .30 Luger:). There is one in 9mm Export for sale right now actually. They do have their own serial numbers with Gothic "a" suffix. And speaking of seller's descriptions of the caliber.... I bought an all matching correct, non Red9 marked 9x19 C96 at Cabela's a while back. The tag said.... .30 Luger.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all of you help, posting a few pics below. I see the doouble crown over U on bottom of barrel. Curious about the "CBE B. CA." marks on bottom of barrel and backwards stamped on right side of barrel just behind the chamber. From the serial number I thinks build date was 1937 or 1938. Any other observations are welcome.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain
Wood Sleeve Textile Beige Font
Wood Sleeve Textile Beige Font
Finger Wood Thumb Nail Flooring
Wood Finger Thumb Wood stain Metal
Wood Tool Finger Thumb Nail
Hand Wood Finger Thumb Art
Finger Wood Thumb Nail Plant
Hand Wood Finger Thumb Reptile
Finger Wrist Nail Eyewear Human leg
Wood Bicycle part Tool Sword Blade

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.