Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester 1894 special order with a shotgun but carbine. What butt plate should I use to finish the restoration.I know they took the black rubber but plates but I’ve noticed there’s two types there’s the thick ones that you see on Winchester 1897 pump shotguns and then there’s the thin black rubber boat place that you see on all the Winchester model 12 pump shotguns. Also there is the widow peak version of those buttplates. What would be correct for a Winchester model 94 made in 1906. Thick, thin, widows peak???
Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I converted a 92 src to a factory style PG and used a Shotgun Butt on it as well.
The butt plate I used was a rusty checkered steel w/widow peak from a 97.
I ground the checkering off and along with filing and thinning of the plate, then fitted it to trhe new stock.
Of course like many projects it is yet to be completely finished up, but the plate worked out great. They are not too hard to find as damaged rusty orig for use in a project.
Repos are available as well.

I'll click a pic or 2 later on.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There are at least a half dozen shotgun buttplates that were used on the 1894 and 1892. Three types of hard rubber , flat type 5" tall , spur /rollover type 5"" , the shorter flat that was used on the Whelen fluted comb stock ,shorter by a little. They all have same basic logo and border.
Pictured is deluxe pistol grip with spur type.
This is probably most common on deluxe guns.But the plain flat that looks just like it except without spur is also common .
Both same thickness .

The metal buttplates had spur/rollover in smooth or checkered with diamond detail around holes. Similier to 1886 and model 70

I just received a factory letter on a deluxe pistol gripped 1894 from 1902 it has spur type buttplate but letter only says shotgun buttplate hardrubber

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Probably easiest method to check buttplate configuration is in Bob Renneburg's book .
If you go over to Winchester Collectors Association for a small donation of your choice you can download Bob's latest revision for the 1894.
Got his 1st edition in 1994 and refer to it many times .Good book.
He has pictures of each of the styles , the 5" though either with or without spur is correct for hard rubber.
The later 4 1/2" is for the pre war Whelen fluted comb.
As far as how the compare to the shotguns 1897 ,model 12,model 21 I don't know as I do not collect shotguns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I have to figure out when Winchester stopped using the rollover (spur) black rubber buttplate and stated using the flat black rubber buttplate. The Winchester 1894 I’m restoring is from 1906.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have deluxe 1894 from 1902 with capped pistol grip .Factory only says hard rubber shotgun buttplate . It has the spur /rollover and stock is numbered to the receiver via a fitters mark that matches mark on receiver tang.
Really even if you get a letter unless you have matching stock you probably will not know what it had originally.

More than likely it had spur/rollover type , they are 5" but I'm certain the non rollover was also available in 5" .

Rollover is mostly what you will see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts