Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First one is a Marlin 120 with full rib in 12g.

Other is a Stevens Model 620 in 12g.

Missed out on the Ted Williams .30-30. By the time I took Shyquestor's advice, someone else got it. Dangit.

Well, I like old shotties. Generally all I do is clean the metal, steam out the dents and BLO and tung oil the stocks.

Both of these guns are good old steel. The Stevens is much older. The Marlin isn't more than probably 30 years old.

If you have any opinions, please share them. BTW, neither have any military markings. I'm always looking for those.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,264 Posts
The 2 shotguns you mentioned are hard to find in any condition-or either well used or kept in closet and not used much.It is something to collect as other firearms go out of sight.I look for Marlin Tube feed .22 mags,Remington nylon 66's-those are getting pricey,and Marlin/store brand Lever rifles.Stevens 620 is my favorite-but I dont see very many of The Marlin shotguns-Like the Mossberg lever rifles.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Mark--gotta be quick, as I am sure you know. Snooze you lose!

The G-kids are young, so you will get another chance to get something old to refinish and give to them and teach them with. Suggest looking for the old .22s--pump action store brands especially, or even some lever actions that need some refinishing.

I would not get a 12 ga. shotgun to start them on. (Maybe a .410 at most.)

·
Gold Bullet member
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shy,

You are absolutely ly about these being way to big for granddaughters.

I'm looking at them as merely fun projects for me....now.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Slide actions except the Winchester models 1897 and 12, and maybe pristine Ithaca 37s, are pretty much dogs. Everyone's got one, and prices have been static for years.

I've been looking for good, but inexpensive SxS doubles - (NOT the Savage/Stevens clunkers) Bought a Zabala 20 ga and a Ugartechia 12 ga, hunting for more at good prices but most asking auction prices seem "imaginative". They apparently take a lot of hand labor to build and rising wages are boosting prices of new ones sky high.

Collecting/profits aside, I really like shooting a light SxS a lot better than an over/under, pump or autoloader.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I dont know anything about the Stevens, but the Marlin 120 was one heck of a good gun. Some of them even came with a 36" barrel from the factory. Also a good HD trap gun. People that have them love them. Others just dont know what they're missing. They never caught on because they coudln't compete with the low cost Mossberg 500's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts