Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a sucker for old, inexpensive, interesting-looking military stuff. Even if I don't know exactly what it is....

Found the bandoleer at a show, full of re-loaded .303 British ammo. (Ammo was pulled apart and components re-used.)
Very heavy cloth with reinforced bottom. Have never seen a button/hole on a strap before. To attach to the uniform ?
No markings on buttons. "F" on the back is the only marking.
No copper wire clasps, so not sure if it's British.

Sling was in the bargain bin at a gun store. Thought it was police issue at first because of the very heavy black leather.
Copper rivets and attached hangers made me think again.
Maybe French ?

Mosin butt-plate was on a table at a show. Appeared 'different', so I bought it. (On the right.)
Much wider and longer than 'standard' butt-plate. Figured it was from very early production (?).
It's stock must have been pretty beefy. No numbers anywhere.
Does the "C" stand for Chatellerault ?

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
I have several of those bandos. If I recall correctly, when I got them they were full of FN-manufactured 1950-dated .303.

I always figured the button/buttonhole on the strap was there to shorten the strap up a bit if it was easier to wear that way.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Phil, the left buttplate appears to be a trimmed down Finnish Civil Guard one from an early Izhevsk rifle.
The right one pictured does not appear altered & is still full size.
Need one with deeper knowledge to ID it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Phil, the left buttplate appears to be a trimmed down Finnish Civil Guard one from an early Izhevsk rifle.
The right one pictured does not appear altered & is still full size.
The Finn butt plate is standard size.....Guaranteed. Same as all 5 or 6 non-Finn 'spares' I have. (Thought it would be a more interesting example.)
Have put it up to several Russian stocks with no butt plate, and it fits perfectly.
It's there to show how much bigger the one on the right is.

Thought that a few of my carbines had slightly wider butt plates, but some are smaller than 'standard'.
Seems to be just a slight (and usual) variation in their sizes. Same with 91/30s.
Likely why butt plates often stay with their original stocks.
The one on the right is just so much larger. Not even close to fitting on any Mosin I own. (50+.)

Correct ID on the Finn butt plate though. From a Bubba-ed M28.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have several of those bandos. If I recall correctly, when I got them they were full of FN-manufactured 1950-dated .303.

I always figured the button/buttonhole on the strap was there to shorten the strap up a bit if it was easier to wear that way.
I had considered the "shortening" angle. But with just one adjustment, only makes about an inch of difference.
Doesn't seem to be worth the effort/time/materials.
It's in about the right place, and about the right size, to attach to a shoulder loop.

FN mfg. would make the "F" stamp reasonable.
Wonder if there are others marked with an "N". :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.