Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,946 Posts
Your aperture is very small . 1 m/m is the smallest I know of for the Elit . I have seen them larger at the rear , up to 2.5 m/m ? Maybe try a larger aperture if you cannot get the sight picture correct for your eyes .

It has been windy here as well , but nothing like you have . The wind has brought down trees on power lines . My power was out from about 10 PM to 2 AM last night . In the teens last night , but 57 today . Not usually that cold at night or warm in the day . There may be something to Global warming because the Chesapeake has not frozen over since the late '70's or early '80's , as best I can remember . Needed ice breakers to keep the shipping lanes open .

· Registered
48 Posts
I will try a few tests with different home made substitutes before getting a larger aperature. I also am going to dull the inside of the tubes to see if this helps. It may be refelcted light? Lastly I will try a few friends sights to see what difference, if any I can find that might explain the problem My wife says I am just geting old, blind and deaf. There are advantages to her believing that :).

Yes I think the general climate is changing and we can expect a rougher weather ride in the future. Twice this year we have had 20C changes in temperature within the same day. Last summer was the hottest on record. The wildest swings seem to be hitting the Atlantic coast. Ocean temperature and current changes have been noted but no one really knows if this is normal variation or a sign of long term changes.

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Using rings sights needs to be intuitive, making an instantaneous yes/no decision on whether the ring is centered on the target. The process works more easily when plenty of white exists around the aiming mark. Most coaches would select the image second from left as about right. Too small a ring makes it difficult for the brain to process what gap exists, likewise when it is too large. Older eyes often need thicker rings to stay clearly visible.

With the rear aperture, most shooters would use 1.0 to 1.2 mm. Some ageing eyes may be suited to very small apertures, but most would find the sight picture starts to become grey or fuzzy around the edges. Too small an aperture can also give eyestrain during a long string of shots.

With a post and adjustable target rearsight, the post stays centred on the aiming mark (as opposed to a military rifle where aim off is needed for wind). Because of this a particular post width can be an advantage. Most conventional would be post equals the aiming mark, giving sight picture third from left, but a wider post can be much better for older eyes to make it clearly visible. My eyes cannot see a thin post any longer, so I use the sight picture at left.

Hold of the post is the same as using a military blade - most target shooters would hold at six o'clock, or use a small amount of white as at left. The military centre of mass hold often gives problems when the target isn't "grey" enough", making it hard to see the tip of the black blade on the black aiming mark.

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.