Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Bobbers,

In Sweden, I believe they use various shapes of targets, which I'm not familiar with, so I'm only going to comment on sights used for the standard, round, targets we use in the U.S. for highpower competition.

The standard NRA highpower targets use an "aiming black" that is designed to look the same size at various distances. The 100 yard target is 6" in diameter, the 200 yard target is 12", the 600 yard target is 36", etc... This allows you to have pretty much the same sight picture no matter what distance you're shooting at. That's good when using a fixed aperture like the one you have on your CG-63. I've found the size that gives me the best sight picture has a hole (aperture) measuring 3.2mm. The sight insert is marked "3.2".

Don't think that the smallest aperture will give you the most accurate sight picture. You want to have some "white" showing around the black bullseye so that you can tell when it's centered in the aperture. I've read that the human eye is very good at discerning when things are all centered. The photo below shows what David Tubb (holder of multiple U.S. national championships in highpower rifle) recommends as an ideal sight picture for a fixed aperture front sight like those found on the CG-63. CG-80, etc...

For the rear aperture, you generally want the smallest hole size that allows the sight picture to remain bright. If you have a variable rear aperture (which CG-63's don't have) you can dial it down until things start to get dim, then back it off a little for the optimum aperture size. This can vary by person or by the amount of light available when shooting (overcast vs. bright, sunny skies). The CG-63 has a fixed rear aperture, so you can't adjust it, but you can get replacement rear apertures of various sizes for your CG-63 sight. Chances are, the one it came with is OK to use, but if you're having problems with your sight picture, you might want to play with different sized rear apertures to see if it helps.

Using a post front sight vs. an aperture front sight is mostly a personal preference, but I think the aperture sight is generally more accurate, and also better for those with aging eyes (like mine). There are guidelines for the width of the front post vs. the aiming black, and many say that the best width is one that gives you a sight picture where the post is slightly wider than the aiming black when using a 6 o'clock hold. I think the idea is that having some post on either side of the bullseye, it's easier to see when things are all centered up. This is counter-intuitive because it seems like a thinner front post would be more "precise", but many national highpower competitors go with a wider post. You probably need to play around with that to see what works best for you.

I hope you find that helpful. :)

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.