Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A friend found some Ak 74 recievers 80% finished at $23 ea. He wants to build his own AK 47, but he wants to know if he can use an AK 74 reciever for the build. He prefers 7.62 x 39 to 5.45 x 39, due to the abundance of the 7.62 x 39. I would appreciate any guidance from th AK Gurus on this forum. Thank You.

God Bless!

Ariovistus

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,495 Posts
The mag well is cut differently and the ejector is slightly different I believe are the main differences. I believe a 545 receiver can be used to build a 762 rifle fairly easy, especially if the rails are not installed (and a 80% should not). If he's talking about the 80% polish receivers I think they are already in 762 and not 545.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,358 Posts
The receiver shells are not heat treated. Cheap but realize what you are getting. Rails not installed and a spot welder will be needed and drilling all the axis pin and rivet locations etc.,

·
Registered
975 Posts
The Polish AK (7.62) receivers can be had here http://www.keepshooting.com/polish-ak-47-receiver-blank.html and many other places.

http://ak-builder.com/ has the drill fixtures and about everything else you'll need. Harbor freight has a cheap spot welder, or you can plug weld and grind the rails in place. Lots of info out there, even YouTube, but wading through them all is going to require some time. Don't just do what you see being done in the 1st video (or whatever), compare/contrast/study.

AK's aren't difficult to assemble if you have the proper tools (a shop press is handy) and a little guidance. I highly recommend getting a kit with the ORIGINAL (not US) barrel, as they are chrome lined and have been drilled in the correct places (gas port, front sight base, etc.). Most US barrels are "virgin" and those holes aren't drilled.

You guys are really late getting on the "AK build bandwagon"...years ago, parts kits were cheap and plentiful. And BTW...5.45x39 can be had much cheaper than 7.62x39. I bought 4 crates of 5.45 from AIM before I even owned a rifle chambered for it.

Have fun!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
If he wants to build one AK to save money he's at least 5 years and 5 AK parts kits too late. Unless you are lucky you'll need a couple /few hundred bucks of tools and jigs, "virgin" barrels, etc. Definitely not worth it unless you are doing a batch of them, 6 or more.
As for unhardened receivers, thats how I started and switched to Nodakspud's 100% heat treated ones after bending a blank. Cheaper and much better than the DIY route.
If he still wants to go ahead for the experience, not under the illusion its cheaper, he has my blessing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts